POP/SMTP/IMAP server settings for Office 365

This question is answered This question is answered

Hello,

I've read the following article about finding the correct server settings via Outlook Web App:

http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/cc875899.aspx

I'm preparing for BPOS to Office 365 transition and need to communicate the correct settings to a number of users ahead of transition. It seems that these settings may vary, but I'd like to know if they will be the same for all users and if there's a way to find them out in advance of transition?

Thanks,

Neil

Verified Answer
  • From what i can see, i think the servers are different

• Hi Neil,

Actually Office 365 will choose data center for each mailbox according to the user's location. Although in the same data center, the servers for each mailboxes may be different from each other, and the information can be detected only after the mailboxes have been created. So I don't think you can get the accurate POP/SMTP/IMAP server settings information before transition.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

All Replies
  • Once you setup the users, you can have the pop/imap settings in the outlook options

• Let me clarify

The proper settings for POP3, SMTP and IMAP can actually be found in O365 OWA.  Sign into the O365 Portal, and select MAIL at the top. Hit "options" in the upper right hand corner of OWA, then "See all options".  On this page is a link called "Settings for POP, IMAP, and SMTP access..." which will show you the settings.  Make sure you're putting in the correct ports in Outlook, as well

• Hi, I'm grateful for your support. But I'm afraid, you've not actually answered my questions.

I'm already aware how to find the server settings for a specific user, as is described in the article I linked to. I'll rephrase the questions...

1) Are the server settings shown in OWA the same from one user to the next (within the same company)?

2) How can I find out these settings prior to our transition, that is before any of our users have access to OWA?

Thanks,

Neil

• Well,why don't you setup two users and check the settings and see if they are the same. That would tell you right there the answer to your Questions #1

I think once you get the answer to questions #1, it should answer question #2

• As we've not been transitioned from BPOS I can't open the Outlook Web App to find the settings until after, but I'd like to know before this happens so that I can communicate details to our Linux users. Indeed I could try with a trial account to establish if multiple users can show the same settings but I don't see how that's proof that all users would have the same and won't necessarily show the settings for our company. Essentially I'm looking for some insight on how Microsoft allocate those settings across users/customers.

I could instruct our users to login to OWA to get their settings if really needed, but if I can be confident of the settings it'd be good to save them the extra steps.

Cheers,

Neil

• From what i can see, i think the servers are different

• Hi Neil,

Actually Office 365 will choose data center for each mailbox according to the user's location. Although in the same data center, the servers for each mailboxes may be different from each other, and the information can be detected only after the mailboxes have been created. So I don't think you can get the accurate POP/SMTP/IMAP server settings information before transition.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Why are the settings no longer available under OWA/Portal ?

It is a bit of  a pain to go looking for them - in particular the ports.

I know where to find them but why aren't they listed under OWA anymore?