No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Outlook 2011 for Mac "Mail could not be received at this time"

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

Good day,

I'm having a problem which regards to this error "Mail could not be received at this time. The server for account "company" returned the error "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password." Your username/password or security settings may be incorrect. Would you like to try re-entering your password?"

I already read a lot of forums which might help me to resolve this issue but none of them fix the issue. Some says that the issue resides on the built in system program keychain on some other says its on the Outlook program configuration.

Here are the some steps I followed and applied, I tried deleting the keychain specifically for the Outlook login, run the First Aid and fix it after though it didn't see any problem, I also even reset the whole Keychain system but none of this fixed the issue. The last thing I did was re-installed the Outlook program itself. Thought it fixed the issue until after a few weeks the user called again informing me that the problem still occurs.

Could someone please help me with this, any help will be very much appreciated.

All Replies
  • Hi Mark,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

To troubleshoot the issue, can you please provide the following information:

1. Do all the users on Mac encounter the same issue?
    2. How does the user connect Outlook to Office 365, via Exchange mode or POP/IMAP mode?
    3. Can the mails be delivered to the mailbox if the user click No after the window pop up?
    4. Have you deployed any other integrating services with Office 365, like ADFS, DirSync or Hybrid?

Since there are various reasons causing the issue, to solve it, please try the steps below:

1. Check If the Mac and Outlook are installed with the latest updates.
    2. Create a new identity by referring to the step 5 in the more information part of this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2360509.
    3. Configure the account in Outlook for Mac via Exchange mode by referring to: Set up Outlook for Mac 2011 to work with Office 365.

• Hi Mark,

Have you tried the steps provided above? Please feel free to share the updates of the issue here at your convenience.