No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

No incoming mail from external addresses?

• 4 Followers
  • 7 Replies |
  • This post has 0 verified answers |
Answered (Not Verified) This question has suggested answer(s)

Like quite many others, I'm having trouble with incoming mail. All other services are working just fine but the most important one isn't. I have checked domain is verified and dns records are ok. I have no time to wait 72h to see if mail is working or not. Is there any way to ensure quick fix for incoming mail problem?

I'm a Mac user and even bought pc to do those Powershell tricks but no luck...

Should or could I go back to Google Apps while problem is resolved?

I'm getting a following message:

Technical details of permanent failure: 
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 5.4.1 Relay Access Denied (state 14).

And smtp test is failing as follows:

Attempting to send a test e-mail message to user@mydomain.fi using MX phantomservices-fi.mail.eo.outlook.com.
  Delivery of the test message failed.

Additional Details
  The server returned status code 550 - Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: 5.4.1 Relay Access Denied
Exception details:
Message: Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: 5.4.1 Relay Access Denied
Type: System.Net.Mail.SmtpFailedRecipientException
Stack trace:
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.SendMail(MailAddress sender, MailAddressCollection recipients, String deliveryNotify, SmtpFailedRecipientException& exception)
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Tools.ExRca.Tests.SmtpMessageTest.PerformTestReally()

• Post Points: 20
All Replies
  • Does the user that you are trying to send the email to have a valid license assigned to him/her in the Office 365 admin portal?

Kelsey Epps

MVP- Office365

kelsey.epps@conceppsgroup.com

Office 365 BLOG

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
  • Hi Syvakma1,

Before moving on, I would like to collect the following information to troubleshoot this issue.

1. Since you said that "no incoming mail from external addresses", do you mean that only messages from external addresses would not be received? Could internal messages be received in your organization?

2. Are you using Office 365 Enterprise subscription or Small Business subscription?

If you are using Office 365 Small Business subscription, please check if you have changed name server records at your domain registrar.

Here is the link for your reference:

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../gg549203.aspx

Generally, if your Microsoft Office 365 domain was recently added, moved, or deleted in Microsoft Forefront Online Protection for Exchange (FOPE). When people who are external to your organization send email messages to users in an Office 365 environment, the senders would receive the following nondelivery report (NDR) error message:

"550 5.4.1 Relay Access Denied"

To troubleshoot this error, please try the following steps:

1. Launch a Remote Exchange PowerShell session.

Connect Windows PowerShell to the Service:

help.outlook.com/.../cc952755.aspx

2. Type the two following lines:

Set-AcceptedDomain <domain> -OutboundOnly $true

Set-AcceptedDomain <domain> -OutboundOnly $false

Note: Replace <domain> with the vanity domain that you want to use.

It will take 30 to 45 minutes for propagation to all edge servers. During this time, you may receive an NDR message that states that the hop count is exceeded.

You could also refer to the KB below for more detailed information:

support.microsoft.com/.../2603474

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
    Suggested by
  • Yes.

• Not Ranked
  • 1. I can receive emails from myself but no luck from external addresses. I can receive external email to myname@myname.onmicrosoft.com address.

2. Im using Small Business subscription. One subscription at the moment.  DNS is fine and verified pointing to microsoft dns.

As I said, I'm a Mac user and I bought a pc to do that Powershell thing. No luck after that either.

br. Marko

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Marko,

Based on your description, you could try to add your email address user@mydomain.fi as a proxy email address for your account which might be helpful.

Here are the steps for you:

1.Logon to Office 365 portal-- Admin page with an administrator account.

2.Click on Outlook at the top of the Admin page. This will open your Outlook mailbox through Outlook Web Access.

3.Click Options from the right up corner and click See All Options.

4.From the Options menu, open Manage My Organization.

5.You are now on the Users & Groups page, select your account and click on Details.

6.Open the E-Mail Options section and click the "Add" button.

7.Enter the email address you would like to use; if you have added your internet domain name successfully on Office 365, you will see it on the drop down list.

After doing this, please try to test to send external emails to this account and see if it helps.

For more about Proxy Addresses, please refer to the link below:

help.outlook.com/.../cc511403.aspx

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
    Suggested by
  • Already did that but no help.

• Not Ranked
  • Hello,

After reviewing the infromation that you have provided via private messaging, your DNS records look fine, so that's not the problem.  However, your previous response indicated that you may have had your vanity domain associated with another Microsoft server or Microsoft filtering system.  I have checked earlier FOPE records and your vanity domain still appears in their records.  In order to resolve this issue, two steps need to be followed:

1. Contact Forefront Online Protection for Exchange Online (FOPE) technical support to have the domain name manually removed from BPOS-S and FOPE data center.  They can be reached at 866-676-6546.

2. Once the above is completed, follow the steps earlier in the thread regarding Set-AcceptedDomain.

Thank you,
    Chase Dahl
    O365 Forum Moderator
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Male
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)