Office 365 manual setup for Outlook 2010 on XP - Anonymous Authentication is not an option in Logon Network Security

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

Environment:

Windows XP Pro SP3

Office 2010 + SP1

We are currently having problems setting up Exchange online account as it keeps prompting for the password during setup.

We have also tried setting this up manually still with no joy.

I think the problem is that there is no "anonymous authentication" option under "Logon network security" on this particular computer.

We have been googling for the last couple of days but none of the solutions have worked yet.

Also to note that the same email account works fine on Windows 7 environment with both Outlook 2010 and 2013.

I don't know if its possible to get this "anonymous authentication"option enabled by using a registry fix or similar.

Your expert advice/ suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

All Replies
  • Your missing updates

You need to run Windows Updates and make sure your searching for "Windows & Programs" and not just windows only

• Thanks for the reply.

Yes Windows is up-to date with all Windows and program updates including kb2687503 which some people have mentioned in various forums.

I am going to run sfc next week to try and repair any corrupted system files.

Cheers.

• Hi Enigmalive,

I understand that the same Office 365 email account works well in Window7 environment with both Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013, it indicates that there is nothing wrong with this account. The issue may be related to the settings in the Outlook client or the settings in Windows XP computer.

Based on the current situation, I would like to recommend you refer to the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Run Office 365 Desktop Setup apps.
    Log in to Office 365 portal>click Office 365 settings>click software>click desktop setup>click set up.

2. Please check "Stored User Names and Passwords" in windows XP if the credentials for Outlook have been stored successfully. If it has not been stored here, please add it in it manually. For more detailed information, you can refer to the following KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306541

Moreover, I noticed you will also try some others steps in next week. If there are any updates, please feel free to post back at your convenience.

Thanks,
    Anna Shi

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hi Enigmalive,

Do you have any updates on this issue? Please feel to post back at your convenience.

Thanks,

Anna Shi

• Hello, thanks so much for your advice.

Office 365 setup asked to setup Outlook manually.

Stored user name passwords didn't work either.

Seems like the problem is to do with auto-discovery and not username/ password as I kept getting the error below:

I did use power-shell to get the exact details for outlook anywhere but nothing worked.

Also to note that the RPC/HTTP test completed successfully via the online connectivity analyzer.

However I have managed to get the "anonymous authentication" option back by installing the 

KB25532248 update from the link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=29361

Hope this might help someone who is having problems by not having that option in Mail.

Finally I gave up and setup emails using IMAP instead, all working ok now.

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheeers.

• please refer this link www.globalnet.ie/outlook-2010-failing-to-authenticate-with-exchange-2013-on-office-365-outlook-keeps-prompting-for-username-and-password

you could only download a samll patch

www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx