No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Disable Global Address List (GAL)

• I am currently testing out a P1-plan.

I need to disable the global address list or remove one of more users from the global address list.

This in order to not reveal various users account. 

I appreciate any answer.

• Hello,

From the Exchange Online Service Description (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=6c6ecc6c-64f5-490a-bca3-8835c9a4a2ea):

"Global Address List

Exchange Online supports the Global Address List, an organization-wide directory of all mail-enabled users, distribution groups, and external contacts.

Administrators can hide users, distribution groups, and contacts from the Global Address List by setting the HideInAddressList attribute for the object in on-premises Active Directory (if using the Directory Synchronization tool) or through Remote PowerShell. See the help topic Hide a User from the Shared Address Book in Office 365 for details."

• Hi Mr Dahl

Is there any option to disable few users emails id on office 365

they are receiving emails on office365

i want to put them back on local onpremises exchange server for a time period?

THanks

Asim

• Hello masimk,

It all depends on how you migrated the emails to O365 in the first place.

In a hybrid coexistence scenario, you can remote move the mailbox back to your on-premises installation.

In a staged migration scenario, you can remove the TargetAddress attribute from the on-prem mail object so that mail is not forwarded to the cloud address.