No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Outlook has stopped working - when updating an imap folder (office 2013)

This question is answered This question is answered

I have recently set up office 2013 on my new office 365 subscription. When I copied all of my old email (POP mail) folders into my imap account I had virtually no problems. However i have left it overnight and while it is updating all the folders, it seems there is a problem with one of them and it is shutting down Outlook. 

The message simply says "Microsoft Outlook has stopped working" - "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly...". If I go offline then I can open the folder and see the contents no problem, it just wont update to the server.

At this point it looks like it's just one folder but there may be others...? What do I do (apart from deleting the folder)? Please help!

Verified Answer
  • Hi Jelly,

In order to troubleshoot this issue, I’d like to confirm the following information with you:
    1. Does the “IMAP account” mean the account which is connected to Outlook via IMAP protocol?
    2. How did you copy the emails from your POP mailbox to your IMAP account in Outlook?
    3. Have you connected your POP account to Outlook as well as your IMAP account?
    Based on this situation, I suggest you connect these 2 email accounts to the same Outlook desktop client, export the emails in your POP mailbox to a .pst file, and then import this .pst file to your IMAP account.
    The exportation can be achieved using Outlook by following these steps:
    1. Click FILE tab -> Open & Export in the left panel -> Import/Export button.
    2. Select Export to a file -> Outlook Data File (.pst).
    3. Choose the folders or the entire mailbox to export.
    Then you can import the .pst file to your IMAP account by following the similar steps:
    1. FILE -> Open & Export -> Import/Export -> Import from another program or file -> Outlook Data File (.pst).
    2. Select where you saved your .pst file.

If anything goes wrong in the whole process, please feel free to post it back.

Thanks,
    Allen Zhang

All Replies
  • Hi Jelly,

In order to troubleshoot this issue, I’d like to confirm the following information with you:
    1. Does the “IMAP account” mean the account which is connected to Outlook via IMAP protocol?
    2. How did you copy the emails from your POP mailbox to your IMAP account in Outlook?
    3. Have you connected your POP account to Outlook as well as your IMAP account?
    Based on this situation, I suggest you connect these 2 email accounts to the same Outlook desktop client, export the emails in your POP mailbox to a .pst file, and then import this .pst file to your IMAP account.
    The exportation can be achieved using Outlook by following these steps:
    1. Click FILE tab -> Open & Export in the left panel -> Import/Export button.
    2. Select Export to a file -> Outlook Data File (.pst).
    3. Choose the folders or the entire mailbox to export.
    Then you can import the .pst file to your IMAP account by following the similar steps:
    1. FILE -> Open & Export -> Import/Export -> Import from another program or file -> Outlook Data File (.pst).
    2. Select where you saved your .pst file.

If anything goes wrong in the whole process, please feel free to post it back.

Thanks,
    Allen Zhang