No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

2 computers with office 365 outlook, how to sync

This question is not answered This question is not answered

I have a home PC running Office 365 Home and a Windows Surface Pro also running 365Home. I have Office Outlook setup on both of them but want to be able to sync the mail and calanders between them.

How do I do this??

All Replies
  • Hi VTSS350,

If you want to sync Office 365 emails with two computers, you can connect Outlook to the Office 365 account by using Exchange Mode. Under this mode, all emails will be synced between Office 365 account and Outlook client.

You may also be able to set up Outlook to access your e-mail account by using POP or IMAP. However, if you use POP or IMAP, you can't use many of the calendaring and other collaboration features that are available when you access your account with an Exchange account.

For more detailed information about "connect Outlook to Office 365 account", please refer to the link: http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/dd253202.aspx

Thanks,
    Shyamal

• Thank you for your help. Its a business email account with Telstra that I want to sync not an Office365 account. Is this possible??

• Thank you for your help. Its a business email account with Telstra that I want to sync not an Office365 account. Is this possible??

• Provided the Telstra account is an Exchange based account - then it should work just the same as an Office 365 Exchange account.

But I am confused here?

If you have purchased Office 365 - a great way to purchase it is through Microsoft's Office 365 partner in Australia - namely Telstra. With that purchase you get Exchange as a part of all Small Business, MidSize and Enterprise deals (just not sure about the Kiosk versions).

So how did you purchase O365 - just as standalone?

• I have had an @Telstra.com email address for almost 10years now. I don't think its an exchange based account unfortunately.

We purchased a windows Surface Pro tablet and mu wife purchased office 365 home with 5 licences for all out computers.

• Thank you for your help so far

• VTSS,

so it's more than likely a POP account. (Which stands for Post Office Protocol btw.)

Still no problem - as identified by Shyamal above.

Office 365 supports POP and IMAP email  mail as well.

You can just add the Telstra.com mail address to your Outlook as an additional account.

You can find instructions for adding a POP account to Outlook here...

office.microsoft.com/.../set-up-email-in-outlook-2010-or-outlook-2013-HA102823161.aspx

The one important think to recognise with a POP or IMAP account is the issue of "leaving a copy of this email on the server".

When you download your emails to Outlook with a POP account - the last past of the the delivery process is to delete the email from the Mail Server. Unless you specify to "leave a copy on the server".

This is important becuase if you have O365 installed on multiple computers and your @telstra.com account set up on these multiple 0365 installations, if you do not keep a copy of the email on the mail server after the mail has been delivered on computer 1, then computer 2 will never see the same email.

• Thanks Craig, I have had Office outlook setup on my home PC for about 5years now and its been running great with the Telstra email. I have also set it up on the Surface Pro without issue but the two are not synced.

I need to be able to view and sync calendars if possible??

• As Shyamal said above.

"if you use POP or IMAP, you can't use many of the calendaring and other collaboration features that are available when you access your account with an Exchange account."

With a POP account, esentially the Calendar, Tasks, and Contacts are all local. This is why the Exchange type of email account is becoming so popular - because the entire email account (calendar, tasks et al ) are in the cloud. With an Exchange type of account your copy of Outlook on which ever device you have it installed has a VIEW of the exchange account in the cloud.

Unfortunately the Syncing capabilities of a POP or IMAP account are not the same as with an Exchange Account.

However - what you might be able to do is this.

Use the Calendar feature of the Outlook account you received with your Office 365 subscription to sync across the two devices.

Just make sure - this is the Calendar you are using - and the desktop and Surface will see the same calender events.