Calendar Permissions not updating in Outlook 2010/2013

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

So, a user (user1@domain.com) is first setup but doesn't have permissions (limiteddetails) to a room calendar.

They setup their Outlook 2010/2013 with their account. Outlook is set to run in "cached mode".


I, as the administrator, change their account to be a booking delegate. However, when they bring up Outlook after the change they are unable to edit anything on the room calendar or add new appointments. The new permissions has taken effect on the exchange server because outlook Web App does allow editing the room calendar.


The way I've managed to fix this issue is to go to C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook and delete all the contents (I believe specifically the .ost file). However I don't want to have to make users do this (and force resyncing) just because a permission has been updated to a resource calendar. The other method I've found is to turn off cached mode. However when you turn it back on the issue comes back. Running without cached mode is certainly not ideal as I know it can cause Outlook to be less responsive/freeze and generally make the user experience worse.


So the question is why is this happening? Is there anything I can do to force what appears to be the resource calendar being incorrectly cached to update with the correct permissions?


Thanks.

All Replies
  • Hi Jgould,

    Thanks for posting here.

    Yes, you are right. If the users can edit the Room calendar in Outlook Web App (OWA), it indicates that the user already has the correct permission.

    Based on my test from my side, it can be synced to Outlook immediately. Therefore, I would like to collect the following information for further troubleshooting:
    1. Does the issue occur on multiple Outlook client (both Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2007), multiple users?
    2. Does the issue occur on one Room Mailbox? If yes, could you please create a new Room Mailbox to see if the issue will persist?
    3. Are there several accounts in the same profile?

    Based on the current situation, I would like to suggest you repair the profile or create a new profile to see if there is any improvement. Here are some links for your reference:
    How to repair the connection to your Exchange Online account in Outlook: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2847916
    How to create and configure email profiles in Outlook: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918
    Set Up E-Mail in Outlook 2010 or Outlook 2013: http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/dd253202.aspx

    Best Regards,
    Anna Shi

  • Hi Jgould,

    Do you have any updates about the issue? Please feel free to post back at your convenience.

    Thanks,
    Anna Shi

  • I have the same problem. Disabling Exchange Mode fixes it and I can access resource calendars in Outlook correctly.

    We have just migrated to Office 365 (2013 version). Client is Outlook 2010. Profile was created from scratch. I am a member of the security group which has Full Access to this resource in Exchange Online. Only some users are experiencing this problem but having checked the differences I can't see any, other than they are a different user on a different machine.

    Any suggestions?

  • I have implemented the following workaround for the time being:

    I have two Outlook profiles; one with Cached Exchange Mode ON and another with Cached Exchange Mode OFF. Other than that they are identical, in fact I created #2 by copying #1 and only turned cached mode off.

    Normally I use the profile with CEM ON, but when I need to manage calendars I switch to the other profile. This is far from ideal, but better than not being able to manage calendars at all.

  • Switching between profiles wasn't acceptable so we did more work on this. All the resources have been removed, created again and permissions added via PowerShell (because the Exchange Online UI does not work properly - I raised another post about that and Microsoft confirmed the bugs).

    Everything was working last night even with the cached mode turned on, all folders were up to date.

    However, this morning resource calendar permissions no longer work in the cached mode and we are where we were before recreating them. We haven't made any changes. Permissions just broke themselves. This is very frustrating. Can anyone help?

    Note we have permissions defined using security groups, i.e. users are members of a security group and that group has full access to our resources.

  • Hi BorisUK,

    Sorry for the convenience caused by the issue.

    I understand that you have the similar issue with Jgould. In order to avoid confusion, we recommend creating a new thread with detailed description about your requirement, so that we can dig deeper into this question. Thanks for your understanding.

    Best Regards,
    Anna Shi

    0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

  • I ran into a similar situation with shared user calendars and mail folders in Outlook 2010.  My solution was to disable local caching of shared folders:

    1. Open Outlook
    2. Goto File > Account Settings > Account Settings
    3. Select your Exchange profile > Change > More Settings > Advanced tab
    4. Check Use Cached Exchange Mode (if not already checked)
    5. Uncheck Download shared folders
    6. Click OK > Next > Finish
    7. Restart Outlook

    After you do this, Outlook will pull the shared folder permissions from the server, and not from your local cache.  Cached Exchange Mode will still be enabled for your own mail folders.