No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

One Office365 user can not send email to external user, others can.

• 5 Followers
  • 25 Replies |
  • This post has 0 verified answers |
Answered (Not Verified) This question has suggested answer(s)

I have a user who is unable to send an email to an @me.com email address.  He immediately receives back the following error:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.
      Subject: Liability
      Sent: 11/1/2011 11:05 AM
The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

________@me.com on 11/1/2011 11:05 AM
            None of your e-mail accounts could send to this recipient.

When I try sending to the same email address (actual address hidden in this posting) I have no problem with the delivery.

I don't even know where to start troubleshooting this.

• Post Points: 35
All Replies
  • Hello Keven,

I want to confirm that you input the recipient address manually or select them from your contact list or suggestion list.

I suggest  you can check the NDR information to ensure that the recipient address first.  Based on my experience, you could remove individual addresses from the autocompletion cache by highlighting the entry when presented in the suggested names list (use your arrow key to migrate to the entry) and then hitting your Delete key before you tab out of the field. Or you should be able to find and remove the entry from your "Suggested Contacts" folder.

Best Regards
    Neo Zhu

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
  • Could you explain how to check the NDR information?

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Keven,

Generally , we will check generating server, error code ,mail header ,recipient address and so on from NDR (Non-Delivery Report).  If it's possible , could you please post the NDR here?

Thanks,
    Neo Zhu

• Top 25 Contributor
  • Well the response from office365 is extremely minimalistic.  I will paste it below with the removal of only the first part of the user's email address.  You can trust me that it is alpha characters only.

Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 11:05 AM

Subject: Undeliverable: Liability

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Liability

Sent: 11/1/2011 11:05 AM

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

'______@me.com' on 11/1/2011 11:05 AM

None of your e-mail accounts could send to this recipient.

• Not Ranked
  • You can send the mail from OWA (http://mail.office365.com) to narrow down the issue. Before that you should remove this contact from contact list and suggest list.

• Top 500 Contributor
  • Hello Keven,

Steven's suggestion is great.  You can test it with the steps Steven said. If you have any question, please post them here.

Thanks,
    Neo Zhu

• Top 25 Contributor
  • When typed in it works, the problem I think stems from the same issue that I previously posted and haven't had a proper answer to regarding how office 365 creates hyperlinks of email addresses that don't work within it.  I wish that the behaviour would be fixed as this is now the second time I've run into problems with it, and other SBS servers with exchange I work with do not have this behaviour.. it seems specific to office 365.

• Not Ranked
  • Suggested contact folder is a new feature in Exchange 2010/ Exchange Online. It's different from previous version (Exchange2003, 2007 is managed by local cache). Normally, this kind of issue was coming from the recipient name is wrong or can't be solved by GAL.

• Top 500 Contributor
    Suggested by
  • It's not the suggested contacts folder that behaves oddly in Office 365 but the method that the server uses in generating links in the message.  For some reason the server incorperates the "Mailto:" into the hyperlink (<a href="mailto:an@address.com">mailto:an@address.com</a>) and then when a use clicks on it, it stripst he "mailto:" away from the visual version of the address but still keeps it in the literal address so you see "an@address.com" in the "TO" box but behind that the "mailto:" is still lurking and causes the email to fail.  I've been having to keep re-training people to STOP clicking on email addresses in order to send people an email and instead go through manually typing them in.  It's a real pain in their ... and in mine too!  Very dissastisfied users with that behavior.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Keven,

This issue can be caused by damaged autocomplete entries. I suggest resetting the whole Outlook nickname cache to troubleshoot this issue. For more detailed information, please refer to the following KB article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287623

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• Top 25 Contributor
  • Respectfully Mindy,

I don't believe you read my posting.  Autocomplete cache has zero to do with URL linking in the emails.  This problem is being ignored everytime I've brought it up in multiple threads now and I've shown that it doesn't effect indipendant exchange servers only office365.  Being that simple issues like this are so glossed over and strange wild goose chase answers are given, that users are being told "just deal with the irregular behavior", that the office365 system took nearly three months to remove a dead link for "how to manage your service" post log in and that there is nowhere near the function for file storage or ease of google docs... I'm seriously considering a full switch over even if my company and my clients will end up having to have everything uprooted AGAIN.  

This service is seriously underdelivering.  I hoped for better with such a critical product for Microsoft to get right.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Keven,

I do apologize for the misunderstanding in my previous post. Thank you for clarifying the issue for me.

I understand that when clicking an email address in a hyperlink to send emails, the "mailto:" is still lurking in the address which causes the email cannot be sent. I understand the inconvenience caused by this issue.

The workaround for this issue is clicking “Check Names” before sending the email.

Meanwhile, I would suggest you submitting the feedback at the following site:

http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Microsoft%20%20Online%20%20Services/Feedback.aspx?formID=210 

Many features of current programs were designed and upgraded based on customer feedback. Your understanding is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• Top 25 Contributor
  • I've tried the "Check Names" before and that actually causes even more of a problem and again shows why I think there is a real problem here.  Take a look at the process below and why the undeliverable message makes it impossible for end users to tell what's going wrong as it reports the proper email address as undeliverable.  This is a message to myself, directly through office365.

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Keven,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm not sure why need to add "mailto:" and "[]" in the mail contact.

I create two different external users contact in Outlook client . One is created with "[mailto:test-01@vanity.com]" and other is created with "test-01@vanity.com".  They looks like the same. However, when you try to send email with the first mail contact (mailto:test-01@vanity.com) it will fail.

I suggest you can do the following steps:

For the internal contact users, you can just type the mail alias and click on check name to solve it in GAL.(not offline GAL)
    For the external contact users, you can re-create all the problematic mail contacts.

Thanks,
    Neo Zhu

• Top 25 Contributor
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1|2|