No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Delayed Email

This question is answered This question is answered

All our users are seeing delays in receiving email when connected to Office 365 on their work desktops using Outlook 2010, we know this because they are able to view the email through Web access to their account and also through their iPhone / Android devices.

Verified Answer
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delay response.

We have been aware of this issue that Outlook client has issues with receiving new emails and have been working hard to find a solution to resolve this issue.

community.office365.com/.../68774.aspx

To troubleshoot this issue, you may view and download the hotfix from the following link:

support.microsoft.com/.../2596485

There is also an article about the additional information for Emails not being pushed to Outlook issue provided by the Exchange Online team.

You may check the link below:

community.office365.com/.../forum-issues.aspx

Thanks for your support and understanding.

Thanks,

Anna Guo

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

All Replies
  • Hi,

I would like to know how long time the delay would cause. Is it 5-10minutes or 1-2 hours?

Moreover, to narrow down the root cause for this issue, you may change to another network for one computer and test it again.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• It can take hours, not minutes.  Typically they will appear within an hour or so and all at once.

• Hi,

Given this situation, you might try the following steps to check the connection status for your Outlook 2010:

1. Close Outlook.

2. Click Start, run, type in outlook /rpcdiag in the Open box.

3. Click OK to check the status.

Another method is not to use the cached mode and check the connection status.

Here are the general steps:

1. Click File from the top toolbar in Outlook 2010.

2. Click Account Settings--Account Settings and double click your Office 365 account.

3. From the popup window, uncheck the box " Use Cached Exchange Mode".

4. Click OK and finish.

After doing this, recheck the connection status for your Outlook and see if it is working normally.

If the issue persists, please provide detailed description on the connection process you did previously.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Hi,

Just checking in to see whether the suggestions were helpful. Please let us know if you would like additional assistance.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Hi, our issues started on 27Oct, the same for AGT.

1. RPC diag does not show any fail and everything is connected.

2. Clicking Send/Receive manually does not get new emails, and show no errors. Outlooks status shows that is Connected and All Folders are up to date.  Emails are showing in OWA or ActiveSync devices. Only by restarting Outlook, new emails starting to be synced.

3. What do you want me to tell to my 1500 users in Office365 ? To switch to non-cached mode ?

Microsoft, please understand that this issue is impacting multiple companies and I do not see any solid investigation on these issues.

I can add to this :

- Emails in Office365 from one mailbox to another, in the SAME domain, are arriving with 5-10 minutes delay. ( this in non-cached mode)

- Emails in threads are coming in random order (like last email in thread show before an earlier email ) ,and  NOT in a timely ordered view.

• See this thread on the issue that is affecting many.  I stopped listening to "work arounds" and now the ball is in their court.

• Hi,

Sorry for the delay response.

We have been aware of this issue that Outlook client has issues with receiving new emails and have been working hard to find a solution to resolve this issue.

community.office365.com/.../68774.aspx

To troubleshoot this issue, you may view and download the hotfix from the following link:

support.microsoft.com/.../2596485

There is also an article about the additional information for Emails not being pushed to Outlook issue provided by the Exchange Online team.

You may check the link below:

community.office365.com/.../forum-issues.aspx

Thanks for your support and understanding.

Thanks,

Anna Guo

• Hi,

Just checking in to see whether the suggestions were helpful. Please let us know if you would like additional assistance.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Anna,  I am a new subscriber to O365.  I have noticed that I am having this issue - the emails come in to my "regular" (non-O365) accounts in outlook, and it takes 5 to 45 minutes for the same email to show up in O365.  With time sensitive issues, this is obviously not acceptable.  I have read through all of the "delayed email" forums that I can find and I'm not finding an answer to my issue.  

• Hi Kwzook,

Before moving on, I would like to clarify some detailed information about the issue you encountered.

When you say that "the emails come in your non-Office 365 account in Outlook desktop and it takes 5 to 45 minutes for the same email to show up in Office 365", do you mean that you have added the non-Office 365 account as connected account in Office 365 and it would take some time for the messages sent to the connected account to appear in Outlook Web App(OWA) in Office 365?

If this is the case, please refer to the following link about FAQs: Downloading E-Mail from Connected Accounts

help.outlook.com/.../cc825484.aspx

"How often is my mail downloaded from my connected account's mailbox to Outlook Web App?

E-mail is downloaded from your connected accounts every hour when you’re not signed in to Outlook Web App. When you are signed in to Outlook Web App, e-mail is downloaded more frequently. To download e-mail from your connected accounts at any time, click the Check Messages button at the top of the message list view."

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Anna, this is the first time I've seen the information that the connected accounts are downloaded only once per hour when the web app is not running.  Very good information and I will watch the next couple of days with the web app running in the background all day.  I wish there was a way to change that setting but in the meantime I'll just keep the web app running.  Thanks.

• Anna - after unchecking the "use cached mode" i am now seeing connection issues and when trying to open emails in the inbox immediately get the connection toast pop up stating "trying to connect to xxxxxxx.com" I am now going to try installing the recommended hot fixes referenced further down the thread.

• In case you hadn't seen it, the refresh time for connected accounts has recently been improved. See the blog announcing it here: community.office365.com/.../new-sync-capabilities-for-connected-accounts.aspx

• Here's the key information from that blog.  The help topic you'll find it in is here: Learn About Connected Accounts

The key information is:

"When you first add a connected account, e-mail is downloaded immediately. After the initial download, e-mail is downloaded from your connected accounts every hour when you’re not signed in to Outlook Web App. When you are signed in to Outlook Web App, e-mail is downloaded more frequently. To download e-mail from your connected accounts at any time, click the Check Messages button at the top of the message list view."

Connected Accounts are an Outlook Web App feature.  Outlooks doesn't "know" about them and doesn't check them.  That's why you have to be signed in to Outlook Web App to get downloads more frequently than every hour, and to force an immediate check of your connected accounts.

• Hi,

How are things going?

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo