No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Connecting Outlook 2010/2013 (Desktop version) to Office365 Exchange

• 4 Followers
  • 10 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Hi,

again one basic question, but I was unable to find proper reference in documentation or in admin section of my Office365 site.

What is the proper format of account name and what is name format of server to which I have to connect from desktop version of Outlook.

my initial account is xxxx@yyyy.onmicrosoft.com

and it is after domain transfer changed to

xxxx@yyyy.com

Thanks

Damir

• Post Points: 50
Verified Answer
All Replies
  • You should use Autodiscover to connect Outlook to Office 365 if possible.  Autodiscover requires that you create a CNAME for autodiscover.domain.com and point it to autodiscover.outlook.com.  Then when you configure Outlook you would only enter your email address and password, same as logging into the Office 365 portal.  Outlook and autodiscover will take care of the rest.

Here is some documentation on configuring Autodiscover:

help.outlook.com/.../cc950655.aspx

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
    Suggested by
  • Hi Damir,

As Michael has mentioned, to set up the Office 365 on Outlook client by using automatical connection, the autodiscover record is required.

In addition, for the detailed steps to connect your account to Outlook, this article is for your reference. Set Up E-Mail in Outlook 2010 or Outlook 2013

@Michael, your efforts are much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Maggie Li 

• Top 25 Contributor
  • Hi Damir,

I just want to ensure if the above information is helpful for you. Do you need further assistance with the problem?

Thanks,
    Maggie Li

• Top 25 Contributor
  • I wasn't helpful, unfortunately, because everything is still not working.

I sent information to hoster to put CNAME alias, and they informed me that they did it.

I am trying to connect through Outlook 2010 and 2013 and results are the same, nothing. They are unable to verify account.

More precise, I am trying to connect like username@mydomain.hr. Web Outlook is working fine with this login data.

Only result I am getting is when I try to connect as username@tempdomain.onmicrosoft.com. With this setting I am getting additional window to write again password, and the correct password is not working. So this is also blind alley.

I would appreciate very much to try to connect in not recommended method by means of manually configure exchange account and without all this smart methods like autodiscover. And for this i need what is the real name for exchange server I need and I am using, real username for exchange in this way and all additional potentially needed parameters.

I need to make it work in next 2-3 days otherwise my customers will go crazy and me to.

If anyone has nerves, I can PM all relevant data about account so to check it on your own, because it is still not in official use.

Damir

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Damir,

In order to troubleshoot the problem, I’d like to know are there any errors when you failed to connect your account with Outlook.

Based on the situation, please perform the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Run Desktop Setup to configure your computer for Office 365:

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../ff637594.aspx

2. Create a new user profile for your account via Control Panel > Mail

3. Set up your email account in Outlook referring to the link below:

office.microsoft.com/.../set-up-email-in-outlook-2010-or-outlook-2013-HA102823161.aspx

If the issue persists, please utilize the Remote Connectivity Analyzer tool in the following link to test Outlook Anywhere under Office 365:

www.testexchangeconnectivity.com

Thanks,

Nancy Xie

• Top 50 Contributor
    Suggested by
  • There is some progress ... I will explain big picture to locate the problem.

I have one P plan and will call this p.com domain and I have one E3 plan and will call it E3.com.

P.com is completely hosted by MS (by means of DNS) and it is working, autodiscover on Outlook and on iDevices is working perfectly.

E3.com is problem. DNS is hosted by external provider, and they changed everything according to MS directions (CNAME, etc). iPhone is working as Exchange client with m.outlook.com. First it shows some errors (Can not get Mail) but after few minutes it is working fine. Exchange is doing nothing (can not verify account).

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Damir,

To deploy Autodiscover for your custom domain, you need to add an MX record. Please check your domain records and add the required DNS records referring to the following link:

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../jj655360.aspx

If the issue persists, please try to manually configure Outlook and check if the issue persists. Please refer to the following steps to configure the Outlook client:

support.microsoft.com/.../2404385

Thanks,

Nancy Xie

• Top 50 Contributor
    Suggested by
  • Hi Damir,

How are things going?

Thanks,
    Maggie Li

• Top 25 Contributor
  • Thanks Maggie and Nancy...

Sorry for such a late reply.

Things are solved ... everything working just fine :-)

• Not Ranked
  • Thanks Maggie and Nancy...

Sorry for such a late reply.

Things are solved ... everything working just fine :-)

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)