No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Move Hotmail account to Office365

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi!

I found a similar thread about the subject: http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/146/p/2425/8733.aspx

however it doesn't contains an answer. Currently I have a hotmail custom account (address@domain.com, provided by domains.live.com service). I want to *move* this domain and email account (preserving existing domain and email names). I'm planning to register Office365 account with existing domain.

As far as I understand a general step-by-step is:

1) create Office365 account;

2) on DNS server change MX/TXT/SRV records to Exchange Online;

3) ???

4) PROFIT

Step 3 means some operations to connect to existing hotmail account and move mailbox to a new server. What exact steps should be performed here?

Thanks in advance!

update: however I want to still use existing LiveID for Windows Live networks (messenger). Is it possible?

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

Verified Answer
  • Hi Vadims,

In order to migrate to Office 365, first you may prepare your Office 365 account as you mentioned. Here are some steps for your reference:

Step1. Create Office 365 trail account (small business or enterprise Plan).

Step2. Add your domain to Office 365

Step3. Migrate current hotmail account to a new created Office 365 mailbox.

There are two methods to migrate emails:

(1) Migrate with PST files

=====================

a. Add the current hotmail account to Outlook, and copy all the folders to a PST file.

b. Create a new Outlook profile to connect to the Office 365 mailbox, and import the PST file via Outlook.

(2) Migrate emails via Connected account:

=============================

a. Add the current hotmail account into Office 365 mailbox as a connected account via OWA.

b. After the email download completed, remove the connected account.

Regarding how to add a connected account or remove a connected account, please refer to the article below:

http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/dd181953.aspx

Step4. Change MX record of your domain to Office 365 mail server

For small business plan, we can do this by Changing name server to Office 365 name servers. For enterprise plan, you may find the MX value in Domains in MOP and manually add the records to your domain registrar.

Step5. Change the Office 365 mailbox SMTP address to your vanity domain by editing the user's property in MOP.

After these steps, you should be able to use Office 365 mailbox and preserve existing domain and email names.

Finally, after changing domain to Office 365, the current LiveID(with your own domain) will lose effect.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hi Vadims,

Changing name servers to Office 365 is a requirement in P1 plan. If you want to host your domain in own DNS servers, an E3 Plan is needed.

Regarding the LiveID, use one domain in two or more Microsoft Online services at the same time is not supported. However, you may try to register a passport of Windows Live ID with the migrated account.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

All Replies
  • Hi Vadims,

In order to migrate to Office 365, first you may prepare your Office 365 account as you mentioned. Here are some steps for your reference:

Step1. Create Office 365 trail account (small business or enterprise Plan).

Step2. Add your domain to Office 365

Step3. Migrate current hotmail account to a new created Office 365 mailbox.

There are two methods to migrate emails:

(1) Migrate with PST files

=====================

a. Add the current hotmail account to Outlook, and copy all the folders to a PST file.

b. Create a new Outlook profile to connect to the Office 365 mailbox, and import the PST file via Outlook.

(2) Migrate emails via Connected account:

=============================

a. Add the current hotmail account into Office 365 mailbox as a connected account via OWA.

b. After the email download completed, remove the connected account.

Regarding how to add a connected account or remove a connected account, please refer to the article below:

http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/dd181953.aspx

Step4. Change MX record of your domain to Office 365 mail server

For small business plan, we can do this by Changing name server to Office 365 name servers. For enterprise plan, you may find the MX value in Domains in MOP and manually add the records to your domain registrar.

Step5. Change the Office 365 mailbox SMTP address to your vanity domain by editing the user's property in MOP.

After these steps, you should be able to use Office 365 mailbox and preserve existing domain and email names.

Finally, after changing domain to Office 365, the current LiveID(with your own domain) will lose effect.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hi Reken!

Mail migratation is more or less clear for me. I think I'll use migration through PST.

However I have 2 additional question:

Can I use my own DNS servers for P1 plan? Or I need to purchase an E one? what is the minimum plan that allows me to serve my own DNS servers?

You are said that after domain change my existing LiveID will lose effect. Does this means that I will lose access to live.com with migrated account? If so, can I re-create LiveID account with the same name?

• Hi Vadims,

Changing name servers to Office 365 is a requirement in P1 plan. If you want to host your domain in own DNS servers, an E3 Plan is needed.

Regarding the LiveID, use one domain in two or more Microsoft Online services at the same time is not supported. However, you may try to register a passport of Windows Live ID with the migrated account.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• thanks! I will look into it.