No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

550 550 #5.1.0 Address rejected message

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

Established Office 365 accounts and email and can send but not receive email.  I'm receiving the following error from a fully functional email account I currently use at gmail.  Have I missed a step in setup of my Office 365 Outlook account(s)?

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 #5.1.0 Address rejected XXXXXX@XXXXX.org(state 14).

All Replies
  • This error is because the address is bogus as far as the recipient server is concerned. You've either missed pointing your MX record @ O365, or the email alias you're sending to doesn't exist. Without knowing your domain, this is as close as we can get.

• Hello Anon.A.Mouse,

As Butch suggested, we'll need to gather more information to really troubleshoot this for you.  The primary element of your mailflow is your MX record.  In order to receive email in your Office 365 mailboxes, you need to point your MX record at Office 365 using the instructions provided in your Domains page in the Portal.  Once you've done that, as long as you're emailing a mailbox that exists in your Exchange Online organization, the email should arrive.  If you could point me to your domain, or tell me a service request number if you've already opened a service request about this issue, I'll be able to help fix your problem.

• The correct answer turned out to be changing the name server records for my GoDaddy domain.  That was all I needed to do.  I called GoDaddy "Tech support” and was connected to someone who tried to convince me to buy GoDaddy email accounts and he provided no assistance nor did he seem knowledgeable.  To change your domain’s name server records at Go Daddy, follow these steps.

1.  Sign in to your account at Go Daddy.

2.  Click the My Account tab.

3.  Next to your domain name, click Advanced Details.

4.  On the Domain Manager – Domain Details page, on the Nameservers pane, click Set Nameservers.

5.  On the Set Nameservers dialog box, choose the I have specific nameservers for my domain radio button.

6.  Edit Nameserver 1 and Nameserver 2 to be ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com and ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com, respectively, and then click OK.

7.  Click OK.

• Hello Anon.A.Mouse,

That's great.  The reason that you'd need to change your nameserver records is because on a Small Business subscription, you need to fully redelegate your domain so that Office 365 can setup your MX records for you.  Once those were changed over, Office 365 would've put in place the correct MX record automatically.