No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Adding a MailContact to a DistributionGroup

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

I thought this was simple, but I cant figure out how to accomplish it in the UI or Powershell.  When attempting in Powershell, I get the following:

<paste>

PS C:\Users\tybala> Add-DistributionGroupMember -Identity "Board" -Member "XXXX@gmail.com"
Couldn't find object "XXXX@gmail.com". Please make sure that it was spelled correctly or specify a
different object.
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (0:Int32) [Add-DistributionGroupMember], ManagementObjectNotFoun
   dException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : A9657AC1,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.RecipientTasks.AddDistributionGroupMemb
   er
    + PSComputerName        : pod51018psh.outlook.com

</paste>

Well, the MailContact exists.. maybe it should be enabled?  It seems that Enable-MailContact does not exist when  I try to run it. 

Please let me know what I need to do in order to get this working.

All Replies
  • Are you on the P or E plan? There are limitations to the number of contacts that you can add on the P plan (I want to say 25, but I cant remember)

Anyway, after you setup the external contact, just add them to the DL in the membership section... See the screen shot.

• You can also try to add by the alias you assigned to them, rather than the email address

• Hello TyB,

Before adding an external user to a distribution group of Office 365, make sure you have added it as an external contact, as Kelsey mentioned above.
    For your reference:
    Create a New External Contact

Then, you can choose either one the ways to add the external user to a specific distribution group:
    •In the Exchange Control Panel, just as Kelsey suggested:
    1) Select Manage My Organization > Users & Groups > Distribution Groups.
    2) Click the specific distribution group >Membership >Add > click the external user to add it.
    •Run Windows PowerShell, just as you have mentioned:
    Add-DistributionGroupMember -Identity "Staff" -Member "JohnEvans@contoso.com"

Additional reference:
    Distribution group limits

Thanks,
    Cherry Wang

• Hi TyB,

I'm writing to follow up on the previous thread. How are things going?

Thanks,
    Cherry Wang