No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Struggling with "The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable" error

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

I am trying to setup Outlook 2010 with my Office 365 account.  I continue to get the "The action cannot be completed.  The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable..." error.  Actually, what happens first is that I am prompted for user name and password, and no matter how many times I correctly type that in, it continues to prompt me for it.  If I hit "cancel" I get the error message.

I have correctly followed all the steps for manually configuring Outlook (and checked several times).  Also - this is the third Office 365 account I am setting up; I have accounts on two other domains which I have successfully setup with Outlook.  I am using all the same settings (except the host server, which is different for all three) but this account refuses to work.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lisa

All Replies
  • Hi Lisa,

From your description, I see that one Office 365 account in your organization can’t be setup  to connect Outlook 2010 to Exchange online, but the accounts on other domains works well.

Based on current situation, could you please give the domain name related to that account via private message? I’ll help to check that if the DNS records are right.

I've sent you a privite message, to see the private message:
      1. Please go to "Your details" section on the right side of the community site.
      2. Click Private messages.
      3. Click the subject title of the response to read the message. 

Thanks,
    Aaron Yuan

• Hi Lisa,

Based on current situation, I have some suggestions for you.
    1.Please make sure that the latest Microsoft Office service pack is installed.
    2.Please make sure that the latest version of Office 365 Desktop Setup is installed. To install  Office 365 Desktop Setup, please refer to the following link: http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/ff637594.aspx
    3.Please refer to the following steps to check that whether Autodiscover works correctly.
    In a web browser, browse to https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com.
    On the Office 365 tab, under Microsoft Office Outlook Connectivity Tests, click Outlook Autodiscover, and then click Next.
    4.If the above suggestions doesn’t solve the issue, please Manually set up Outlook  to check if it works.
    For details, please refer to this link: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2404385 

Thanks,
    Aaron Yuan
  • Hi Aaron,

I followed your instructions exactly, but none of this works.  I installed the Office 365 Desktop Setup.  I verified that Autodiscover works correctly (it does).  I tried setting up the account again in Outlook.  Outlook does not find the account automatically.  I then try setting up the account manually, as described in the link.  When I get to the end and click "Check Name", it prompts me for my password.  No matter how many times I supply the correct password, it continues to prompt again.  If I click "Cancel" I get the "connection is unavailable" message.  I have tried this on two different PCs, and get the same results.

Lisa

• Hi Lisa,

From your update, I see that the suggestions I provided above doesn’t solve the issue. I’d like to confirm if you access outlook web access (OWA) successfully. Please check whether the license has been assigned to that account.

I suggest you have a check to make sure that the steps are right when you manually set up the outlook.  Please create a new profile to check if it works.

Moreover, I suggest you create a new account and test if it works?

In addition, if you deleted an account and recreated the same account, this may result in a connection issue. Was the situation like that?

Thanks,
    Aaron Yuan
  • Hi Lisa,

How are things going now?
    Do you need more assistant about this issue?

Thanks,
    Aaron Yuan

• No, I have not yet resolved this issue.  I sent you a private message regarding this.  OWA works fine.  I did notice that the two different email accounts that I have on this domain have two different server names.  Don't know if that is typical or not.  I cannot setup either account in Outlook.  I have tried at least a dozen times and checked and rechecked the settings vs. what's in the tech note on this.  Nothing works.  I can access both accounts from my iPad and iPhone.  I have tried setting them up in Outlook on two different PCs with the same results.

• Hi Lisa,

Based on your update, I understand that the two email accounts work fine in Outlook Web App (OWA) but cannot set up in Outlook 2010 desktop application.

1. Have you test it in Outlook Safe Model (hold down CTRL while you click the icon)?
    2. If other accounts can set up in Outlook successfully, are these 2 mailboxes are recover-deleted mailboxes?
    3. Please test the Outlook Autodiscover on https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/

4. Change another network environment to check the problem.

Thanks,
    Bourne Zhang

• Hi Lisa,

How are things going now?
    Do you need more assitant about this issue?

Thanks,
    Aaron Yuan 

• Bourne,

The accounts work in OWA and also on my iPad and iPhone.  I cannot set them up on my PC.

Yes, I have succesfully tested Autodiscover.

As for testing in Outlook "Safe Mode", I cannot get the accounts setup so that doesn't apply.  I am setting up the accounts using Control Panel-Mail (32-bit)-Email Accounts as Exchange Accounts cannot be setup when Outlook is running.

I still cannot get the accounts for this domain setup, while the accounts on my other two Office365 domains work just fine.

Lisa

• Hi Lisa,

If you deleted an account and recreated the same account, this may result in a connection issue. Was the situation like that?

Thanks,
    Aaron Yuan
  • Hi Lisa,

I'd like to follow up with you about this issue, do you need more assistant?

Thanks,
    Aaron Yuan

• I am having the same problem. I am trying to setup email in Outlook 2007 and I'm getting the same errors Lisa was getting. Like her, the email accounts work fine on mobile devices and through the online portal, but not on the desktops. Two email accounts that I've tried previously worked on the desktop but just on a different computer. The other email account just stopped working today. The user changed their password, and now cannot get a connection the Microsoft Exchange. Please help!!!!

• Hi Jbock,

Please refer to the suggestions I provided above to troubleshoot this issue. In addition, for efficient support, if you need more assistant, please post the question on a new thread, our engineer will support you there.

Thanks,
    Aaron Yuan
  • For us the fix on two workstations was to apply all the pending Microsoft updates and this did the trick immediately.

• For us the fix on two workstations was to apply all the pending Microsoft updates and this did the trick immediately.