No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

How do I get an email delivery report?

• 6 Followers
  • 20 Replies |
  • This post has 0 verified answers |
Not Answered This question is not answered

I have tried the Mail Control -> Delivery Reports option in Office365, but keep getting an error message.  "Server ...prod.outlook.com encountered an error while retrieving tracking information from https://...outlook.com/EWS/Exchange.asmx"

I have tried the Windows PowerShell.  Logged in no trouble at all and do the following search:  Note: in the command below 'My Identity' is replaced with the name of my identity and 'recipient@email.address' is replaced with the email address of the recipient I am searching for

PS C:\Windows\system32> $msg = Search-MessageTrackingReport -Identity "My Identity" -Recipients "recipient@email.address" -BypassDelegateChecking -DoNotResolve

I get the following error:

WARNING: Server SINPRD0310CA006.apcprd03.prod.outlook.com encountered an error while retrieving tracking information
from https://hknprd0310.outlook.com/EWS/Exchange.asmx.
WARNING: Server SINPRD0310CA006.apcprd03.prod.outlook.com encountered an error while retrieving tracking information
from https://hkxprd0310.outlook.com/EWS/Exchange.asmx.
from https://sixprd0310.outlook.com/EWS/Exchange.asmx.

What do I do?  How can I track messages if I just get errors?

• Post Points: 5
All Replies
  • Is there an answer to this, or is there indeed no way to get delivery reports?

• Not Ranked
    • Post Points: 0
  • Hello Paul,

Which subscription plan are you on? P1, E1, etc.?

Did you enter in the To and From addresses and the date when running the trace?

Thank you,
    Ken Berg
    O365 Support
    • Top 500 Contributor
  • P1 Plan - there isn't any box to enter a date in.  

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Paul,

If you go to www.testexchangeconnectivity.com and select the Office 365 tab, and run the test for OOF, does it give any errors?

This will hopefully help determine what is going on to cause the error messages you are receiving.

Thank you,
    Ken Berg
    O365 Support
    • Top 500 Contributor
  • Hi Ken

Thanks for the info about testing the account.

I have moved all our email out of our Inbox (as instructed by the test) and run the test.  It gave the following error:  "ExRCA failed to confirm notification events." and with more details says: "Getting subscription events and confirming that the expected events exist. - Events couldn't be retrieved or confirmed."

Any suggestions?

While waiting for a reponse to my troubles the other day, I signed up for an Exchange Online (Plan 1) account.  I figured it might be helpful to have the extra control over SPAM, and I don't need any other Microsoft Online software, so I would work towards migrating manually to that account.  I did the connectivity test you recommended on that new account as well and get the exact same errors.

What next?  How do I get delivery reports?

Thanks

Paul

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Paul,

I'm actively investigating this error for you. I will let you know if I have any questions to help narrow this down. I suspect it may be a server-side issue, but it is still not 100% clear yet if that is truly the case.

Thank you,
    Ken Berg
    O365 Support
    • Top 500 Contributor
  • I am running into a similar issue, everything else tests fine. When performing the Delivery report, all you can do is specify the mailbox to look in, either the sender of a message or the recipient of a message and the option of something to search in the subject line.

Whether you perform the search online or via powershell it comes with basically the same error

(online under search results there is a message 'There are multiple warnings. Click here to see more)

Click the warning and the following errors are listed and we are running a mix of E3, E1 and kiosk

Server BL2PRD0610CA007.namprd06.prod.outlook.com encountered an error while retrieving tracking information from by2prd0610.outlook.com/.../Exchange.asmx.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Server BL2PRD0610CA007.namprd06.prod.outlook.com encountered an error while retrieving tracking information from sn2prd0610.outlook.com/.../Exchange.asmx.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Server BL2PRD0610CA007.namprd06.prod.outlook.com encountered an error while retrieving tracking information from ch1prd0610.outlook.com/.../Exchange.asmx.

• Not Ranked
  • Word of note, may also want to check out this thread, apparently it an issue that may have been going on for a while.

community.office365.com/.../23196.aspx

• Not Ranked
  • Thanks for the link Gene.  I've found a few posts about this problem - it's interesting to note that Microsoft don't give an appropriate solution to any of those posts - thought it was worth trying again to see if they could actually fix the problem for all of us.  Here's hoping...

• Not Ranked
  • Yeah, the only statement I have seen, is supposedly there is a fix in the works with no ETA.

Gene

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Paul,

This is what the Help.Outlook sample script is  saying it should be:

Search-MessageTrackingReport -Identity "My Identity" -Recipients "recipient@email.address" -bypassDelegateChecking -DoNotResolve

Does this have any different results? Also, how and where is the PS script being run? Are you logging in with proper credentials?

$Cred = Get-Credential

$Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName
    Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri https://ps.outlook.com/powershell/
    -Credential $Cred -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection

Set-ExecutionPolicy unrestricted

Import-PSSession $Session

Thank you,
    Ken Berg
    O365 Support
    • Top 500 Contributor
  • As far as I know it's broken on the MS side.  I've been unable to do these myself for over a month!

Regards,

Alan Byrne

Cogmotive Reports

Office 365 Reports

• Top 150 Contributor
  • Hi Ken

The only thing different about the way I logged in and searched was not using the "Set-ExecutionPolicy unrestricted", and you have a lower case 'b' at the start of 'bypassDelegateChecking'.  I have just logging in using that command and tried with the lower case b (as well as the upper case B) and still get the same errors.

WARNING: Server SINPRD0310CA017.apcprd03.prod.outlook.com encountered an error while retrieving tracking information

from hknprd0310.outlook.com/.../Exchange.asmx.

WARNING: Server SINPRD0310CA017.apcprd03.prod.outlook.com encountered an error while retrieving tracking information

from hkxprd0310.outlook.com/.../Exchange.asmx.

from sixprd0310.outlook.com/.../Exchange.asmx.

What's next to try?

Paul

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Ken

There are a few people posting to this thread saying that this is a known problem and they are waiting for a fix from Microsoft.  What is your knowledge of this situation?  Can you look into this for us?  It is a waste of my time if this is a known problem.

Let me know what you find out.

Thanks

Paul

• Not Ranked
  • See this thread as well:

community.office365.com/.../26574.aspx

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Paul,

I'm engaging all my resources to look into this for you.  I will let you know if I need any additional information, which you can PM me, such as MSOL account name, etc.

Are you able to run a mail trace from the Exchange Control Panel? And am I correct in assuming you are logging into PowerShell with global administrator credentials?

Thank you,
    Ken Berg
    O365 Support
    • Top 500 Contributor
  • No, the error I'm getting, as others have reported, is from the ECP in Office 365. And no, I'm not using PowerShell at all.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Ken

No the mail trace does not work in the Exchange Control Panel (as also mentioned in a number of other threads on this forum).  As mentioned in my first message in this thread, "I have tried the Mail Control -> Delivery Reports option in Office365."  Unless you are meaning something different.

I am logging in with global admin credentials.

Thanks

Paul

• Not Ranked
  • Thank you for the update, Paul.

I was able to confirm that the symptoms you are experiencing are indeed an issue on the MS servers. I have been informed that a fix will be deployed by sometime this July.

Thank you,
    Ken Berg
    O365 Support
    • Top 500 Contributor
  • Hi Ken

Thanks for letting me know.  Very disappointing for this necessary feature to not be working.  

It might be a good idea to make sure all of the support staff know so that it saves people wasting their time going through tests that aren't going to fix anything.

I appreciate your help.

All the best

Paul

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1|2|