Out of Office Assistant not working

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi,

We are having problems with our out of office assistant, it doesn't send out the automatic reply but only with some of the people in the office. We checked to make sure it was turned on through outlook and by logging in online. Also when I am writing an email to one of them it will say that there is an automatic reply for the person, but it doesn't send it. How can I fix it?

Reka

Verified Answer
  • Hi Reka,

Based on the current situation, I understand the issue is with the automatic reply turned on, others send emails to you will not receive the automatic reply, you can pass the test, and this issue occurred with multiple users in your company.

As the OOF test can get pass, I’d like you can test if you can reproduce this issue in pure OWA environment.
    1), Please setup the automatic reply in OWA.
    To setup the automatic reply, please refer to Automatic Replies.
    2), Send a test email from another internal OWA mailbox to the mailbox, check if the automatic reply email is sent. In addition, please check the junk email items to see if it was filtered.
    3), Send a test email from an external mailbox (For example: Hotmail) to the mailbox, and see if you can receive the automatic reply email. Please check the junk email items to see if it was filtered.

In addition, to narrow down this issue, I’d like to gather the following information:
    1), Have you attached multiple mailbox with your Outlook client?
    2), Does this issue occur occasionally or all the time?

Best Regards,
    Evan Zhang

All Replies
  • Hi Reka,

I understand the issue is with the auto reply turned on it only send to the internal users. When you are writing an e-mail, it promote notifications.

In  terms of your situation, this issue may be caused you only turned on the internal auto reply, but not the external auto reply.

To turn on the external auto reply:

1), In Outlook 2010 client, click File on the top; click Automatic Replies; click send out automatic replies; click Outside my organization; customize the settings; click OK.

2), In OWA (Outlook Web App), click Options on the top right; select See all options; click Tell people you are on vacation; select Send automatic reply messages to senders outside my organization; customize the settings; click Save.

After doing so, please try to reproduce this issue.

For more references, you can refer to Automatic Replies Tab.

Regarding to the promoted notifications when you are sending an e-mail, it’s a normal situation you receive MailTips when the internal recipient turned on automatic reply. For more information, please refer to  Configure built-in MailTips

If this is the case, you can still send the e-mail with the notification promoted. If you encounter any error, please capture the error screen and post them in the forum for further troubleshooting.

Thanks,
    Evan Zhang

• It doesn't work internally either, I was just saying the notification pops up so you would think that I would get the automatic reply but it doesn't send it to anyone.

• Hi Reka,

Based on this situation, I’d like to confirm the following details:

1), Some of your internal users can receive the automatic reply or nobody receives the automatic reply with it turned on?

2), When send an email, you can see the mail tip, but you still can’t receive the auto reply.

If you mean nobody receives the automatic reply in your company, I’d like you can refer to the following methods to check the Out of Office settings on the client side.

Method 1: Log on the website https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/ and check the item for OOF as the screenshot below

Method 2: Press Ctrl key and then right click the Outlook icon in the right corner of the taskbar. Then click “Test E-mail AutoConfiguration…” as the screenshot below.

Then you will get the following result.

If the OOF URL doesn’t show well, please check if the computer has run Office desktop setup apps and the proxy or firewall is configured to allow the session for Office 365.

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
    Evan Zhang

• Hi Reka,

Any updates on this issue? In addition, do you need further assistance?

Thanks,

Evan Zhang

• Hi,

We ran the test and it came back normal, we also ran the apps and updates. It still doesn't work.

• Just a guess, you may haven't setup the automatic reply successfully. Try to setup the auto reply with other user, and see if they encounter the same issue.

• It only does it on some peoples computers. We have about 18 people in the office and so far I found 3 that work and 3 don't don't work.

• Hi Reka,

Based on the current situation, I understand the issue is with the automatic reply turned on, others send emails to you will not receive the automatic reply, you can pass the test, and this issue occurred with multiple users in your company.

As the OOF test can get pass, I’d like you can test if you can reproduce this issue in pure OWA environment.
    1), Please setup the automatic reply in OWA.
    To setup the automatic reply, please refer to Automatic Replies.
    2), Send a test email from another internal OWA mailbox to the mailbox, check if the automatic reply email is sent. In addition, please check the junk email items to see if it was filtered.
    3), Send a test email from an external mailbox (For example: Hotmail) to the mailbox, and see if you can receive the automatic reply email. Please check the junk email items to see if it was filtered.

In addition, to narrow down this issue, I’d like to gather the following information:
    1), Have you attached multiple mailbox with your Outlook client?
    2), Does this issue occur occasionally or all the time?

Best Regards,
    Evan Zhang

• Hi Reka,

Any updates on this issue? Did my above information help you or do you need any further assistance?

Best Regards,

Evan Zhang

• We set it up in both OWA and in Outlook does that cancel each other out?

• Hi Reka,

They will not cancel each other out, in terms of your situation, you can setup the Automatic Reply on either OWA or Outlook client, and they will sync and keep the same with each other.

On the other side, if you can setup different Automatic Reply with OWA and Outlook, then, this may be caused you have attached multiple email accounts in Outlook client, and setup the Outlook Automatic Reply on the non-Office 365 account.

If you need any further assistance, please feel free to post back.

Thanks,

Evan Zhang

• Hi Reka,

How are things going? In addition, do you need any further assistance?

Best Regards,

Evan Zhang

• I'm also suffering this issue with one of our clients.  Out of Office notifications were initially set in Outlook 2007 and the user noticed that replies were not being sent.

Replies fail to be sent to internal, as well as external senders.  I have verified that all senders should be replied to.

I've since tested connectivity using the methods described above and no errors or issues are reported in any of the tests.  I disabled the OOF replies in Outlook and then set them again in OWA and sent a test email from a previously unused (Hotmail) account and still no replies are being sent.

Out of Office notifications are extremely important to this client and I need to find a resolution to this ASAP, so any help would be appreciated.

• Hi Chris,

I understand the issue is the Automatic Replies are not sent.

Based on the information you provided, I suggest you check the Automatic Reply settings in OWA to see if you have setup the Automatic Replies correctly.
    Check if you have setup it as below:

After that, please check if you can receive the Automatic Reply with both external and internal users.

In addition, you can check the junk mailbox for the external users, and see if you can find the Automatic Reply message there. 

If the issue still persists, for better follow up this issue, I suggest you post a new thread in the forum with the detailed problem description.

Thanks,
    Evan Zhang

• As my post says, I have verified that all senders should be replied to - including external senders.  I have checked the settings once again and even had a colleague look them over to make sure its not me going mad.

I'll create a new post as you suggest.