No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Personal Archive not showing up on MSOffice Outlook client

This question is not answered This question is not answered

I recently enabled Personal Archive folders for the users in our pilot group.  The Personal Archive folder shows up via OWA, but not for the users in their local MSOutlook 2010 client.  We tried having them restart Outlook, delete the .ost file and restart, yet no success.

We are running MS Office Professional 2010 retail, and in some cases, OEM (preinstalled) from laptop vendor.

Has anybody experienced this problem and have suggestions to resolve?

Thanks,

jeff

All Replies
  • Hi Jeff,

Based on current situation, please re-configuration e-mail account on outlook client with autodiscover.  In other words, please don’t configure e-mail account manually. Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Alex Du

• Hi Alex,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried it, but it did not work.  I have done some more research on this one.  You may want to do a little searching, as I have found that there are LOTS of people having this problem, and very frustrated that MSO365 will not work with Personal Archive with local MSOutlook client with several versions of MSOffice, including MSO2K10 Professional.

If you have other suggestions please send them along.  Otherwise, I think I am in big trouble with my 100+ MSO2K10 users.

• Hello Jeff,

As I understand, users' archive mailbox can't be displayed in Outlook 2010. 

Based on my experience, this problem can be related to various factors, for example, autodiscover service does not work properly, or caused by cached Outlook profile.

To help to troubleshoot the problem, please try the following steps and check what happens.

1. Test the autodiscver service with tool Microsoft Exchange Remote Connectivity Analyzer first.

Microsoft Exchange Remote Connectivity Analyzer
    https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/default.aspx

2. If all the autodiscover setting is correct, you may create a new Outlook profile and clear the option "Use Cached Exchange Mode" and try again.

Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Hi Jack,

I tried your suggestions, but the problem persists.

You may want to do a little searching, as I have found that there are lots of people having this problem, and very frustrated that MSO365 will not work with Personal Archive with local MSOutlook client with several versions of MSOffice, including MSO2K10 Professional.

If you have other suggestions please send them along.  Otherwise, I think I am in big trouble with my 100+ MSO2K10 users.

Thanks,

jeff

• Is there any new information on this issue?

• Hi L Haun,

I would like to know if you experienced a similarly issue? If so, would you please submit  new thread and describe the issue in more details in the new thread. For example: if your office 365 subscription is small business?  If the issue affect all users or just specific users? Our engineer will help troubleshoot  the issue and resolve it.

Best Regards,
    Alex Du

• Thanks for reply, post is here:

community.office365.com/.../196922.aspx

• office.microsoft.com/.../license-requirements-for-personal-archive-and-retention-policies-HA102576659.aspx

You need to verify that your retail version is indeed supported for archiving.  link attached.

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• I have been fighting this issue for a while too, I'm almost certain now that it boils down to the fact that you have to have Office PROFESSIONAL and a E2+ License for it to work.

• No - As detailed in the link from jalumbaugh above, Office Professional will NOT suffice.

For retail purchases, only these will support archives:

* Outlook 2010 stand-alone

* Outlook 2007* stand-alone

* Outlook 2007* included with Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007

As jalumbaugh wrote above, look here: office.microsoft.com/.../license-requirements-for-personal-archive-and-retention-policies-HA102576659.aspx

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• NoahsMyBro,

Dang, If what you're saying is correct, (Im sure it is) it doesent make sense to me that for an enterprise that buys E2 Licenses in bundles of 20 or 30, that the archive function would work, and it doesent. However someone can walk into a best buy and buy it off the shelf and install on their home rig and it will work fine...

...?

• I think you're misunderstanding something.

Just to make sure we're all on the same page:

Outlook - just Outlook, no back-end required - can 'auto-archive'. That means certain data (older than 6 monhts, for example) would be removed from the mailbox or Personal Folders File and saved to a separate .pst file on the users' hard drive. Any Outlook can do that.

The above is *not* what we're discussing in this thread. I don't think you were thinking of that, but want to be sure we're all discussing the same thing.

Also, for the purposes of this discussion I'm only going to talk about Outlook 2010. The required versions of Outlook 2007 are detailed in the link mentioned above.

Concerning Exchange and corporate archiving -

The archiving functionality requires support both on the server AND the client. Assuming you are using Exchange Online (Plan 2, not sure about Plan 1) you have the archiving support on the server.

In order to use the archiving you must be able to interact with the archiving from your client. OWA provides an interface to the archive. Only specific Outlook versions include the archive support. Retail, you'd have to buy the STAND-ALONE Outook. No other retail version of Outlook supports archiving (ignoring the 'auto-archive' thing).

Some volume-license versions of Outlook include archiving support.

Hopefully that clarifies, and doesn't add more confusion.

• I just ran across this thread while researching online personal archives for my Exchange Online account.  I am somewhat in disbelief that there are only "certain" versions of Outlook 2010 that support the online archive functionality.  Are you kidding me?  I have Outlook 2010 as part of Office 2010 Home and Business (retail) and it won't support online archives?  This is bound to create confusion for a lot of people and a feeling of "bait and switch"  for those who signed up for an Exchange Online service (with online archiving) only to find out that their version of Outlook won't work with it (archiving).

Why can't, or should I say, why won't Microsoft just release a patch to enable this functionality in all versions of Outlook 2010.  To be honest, I didn't even know there was a difference between Outlook 2010 retail standalone and Outlook 2010 in bundle Office products.

• Since I was last dealing with this, all the editions of office Have the Autoarchive, or close to them. not 100%. You can see it through the OWA portal once you turn it on, but it wont come up in your regular desktop-launched Outlook.

• Seeing it through your desktop launched Outlook is where I would assume most people would want to see it.  100% of my users use the desktop launched version of Outlook and not OWA, so I am hoping that I can get that piece to work.  I am talking about the Exchange Online archive functionality not the built in "Auto-Archive" functionality available in all version of Outlook.  Which archiving functionality are you referring to in your post?

Thanks.