No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

#550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.ExRecipNotFound; not found ##

This question is not answered This question is not answered

We are trying to get email repaired for an AD FS 2.0 federated user, and all emails to the primary address are bouncing.

Steps we did:

1. Removed old email account that was created through BPOS. This was to try to force a consolidation of accounts.

2. Created domain account on our DC.

3. Edited the AD proxyAddresses property to include SMTP:primaryaddress@mydomain.com, where primaryaddress@mydomain.com was the old primary address of the BPOS account.

4. Forced an AD sync using DirSync (verified that it happened by looking at another property that changed at the same time).

At first, external emails were delivered fine, but internals bounced. Now, after several attempts at force dirsync, no emails will be delivered to primaryaddress@mydomain.com.

Other data points:

• Other addresses associated with this account work correctly.
  • The primary address on the portal now shows up as primaryaddress@mydomain.microsoftonline.com
  • Other users are working correctly with this same setup.

There's something wrong on the MS side--and I cannot seem to reset it from here.

What do we do?

Here's the (kind of anonymized) NDR:

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

Joe Public
The e-mail address you entered couldn't be found. Please check the recipient's e-mail address and try to resend the message. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: mydomain.onmicrosoft.com

IMCEAEX-_O=EXCHANGELABS_OU=EXCHANGE+20ADMINISTRATIVE+20GROUP+20+28FYDIBOHF23SPDLT+29_CN=RECIPIENTS_CN=67d5b8e004ab4efa99dfbf370b1e7dee-Joe+40mydomain+2Ecom@namprd07.prod.outlook.com
#550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.ExRecipNotFound; not found ##

Original message headers:

Received: from BL2PRD0710MB349.namprd07.prod.outlook.com ([169.254.2.72]) by
 BL2PRD0710HT003.namprd07.prod.outlook.com ([10.255.102.38]) with mapi id
 14.16.0135.002; Tue, 27 Mar 2012 19:24:57 +0000
Content-Type: application/ms-tnef; name="winmail.dat"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary
To: Joe Public
<IMCEAEX-_O=EXCHANGELABS_OU=EXCHANGE+20ADMINISTRATIVE+20GROUP+20+28FYDIBOHF23SPDLT+29_CN=RECIPIENTS_CN=67d5b8e004ab4efa99dfbf370b1e7dee-Joe+40mydomain+2Ecom@namprd07.prod.outlook.com>
Subject: testing to Joe@bbc
Thread-Topic: testing to Joe@bbc
Thread-Index: Ac0MT0r0syre7eyoRCSYIt+yUEc7Hg==
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 19:24:56 +0000
Message-ID: <998AA6C40321B94994D3B13EEBD585760D1AFE@BL2PRD0710MB349.namprd07.prod.outlook.com>
Accept-Language: en-US
Content-Language: en-US
X-MS-Has-Attach:
X-MS-TNEF-Correlator: <998AA6C40321B94994D3B13EEBD585760D1AFE@BL2PRD0710MB349.namprd07.prod.outlook.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Originating-IP: [50.47.45.170]

All Replies
  • Hi Peter,

I understand that the non-delivery report (NDR) “550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.ExRecipNotFound; not found” was received when sending email to an Office 365 user. The issue persists after performing the following steps:

1. Removed older email account created through BPOS previously.
    2. Created domain account on your DC.
    3. Edited the AD proxyAddresses property to include SMTP:primaryaddress@mydomain.com, where primaryaddress@mydomain.com was the old primary address of the BPOS account.
    4. Forced an AD sync using DirSync.

To troubleshoot the issue, please clear your autocomplete cache. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287623
    The RESOLVER.ADR is a dead giveaway for these errors. The issue may occur if the user changes the real address of a contact or another organizational user. This can occur due to something like the above (where the admin deletes an address and re-adds them as a contact), or more commonly through a wholesale change of the organization's email addresses (such as a .PST migration from on-premise or hosted to O365). However, the autocomplete caches in the users' mail clients are still pointing to the old X.500 addresses, which need to be cleared out.

If the issue persists, this also occurs if the domain that is configured for coexistence is not set correctly as a shared domain in Office 365.

To troubleshoot the issue, I suggest checking if the domain is configured as shared. You may refer the steps below to check if the domain is a shared domain. If not, please configure the domain as a shared domain. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Sign in to the Office 365 portal (https://portal.microsoftonline.com/) as a global administrator or a service administrator.
    2. Click Admin, and then under Exchange Online, click Manage.
    3. In the Exchange Control Panel (ECP), click Mail Control, and then click Domains & Protection.
    4. Select the domain that is configured for mail coexistence, and then click Details.
    5. Select Shared, and then click Save.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• It's definitely not the autocomplete cache--we've cleared that on multiple clients, and it repros with O365-hosted OWA.

I had been instructed by MS support to keep the domains all set to Hosted, instead of Shared, because we are not routing any email through an onsite Exchange.

As I said earlier, other users are working with this exact setup. The difference appears to be in the fact that this account was deleted (as a BPOS account), and recreated w/ the same properties on the local AD, replicating to the cloud.

• I verified that setting the domain to Shared doesn't impact this issue. The user in question does not accept any default address change. I.e., no value in proxyAddresses with "SMTP:foo@bar.com" value will persist and overwrite the tenant value of user@domain.onmicrosoft.com

I am using ADSI Edit and the DirSync tool to push changes. I verified that other AD properties are being pushed properly to the same user.

• Hi Peter,

Thank you for your updated information.

I understand that you have cleared the autocomplete cache on multiple clients. The issue is narrowed to be related to Office 365 Outlook Web App (OWA). You have followed suggestions from Microsoft Support to keep the domains set to Hosted. The issue with the account that was deleted as a BPOS account, recreated with the same properties on the local AD, and then replicated to the cloud. The user in question couldn’t be changed default address. You are using ADSI Edit and the DirSync tool to push changes. The other AD properties are being pushed properly to the same user.

I understand that you might have submitted a service request. I would like to get the service request number to have a better understanding of the troubleshooting performed with support engineer previously. To protect your privacy, I have sent you a private message on this. It was responded in a private message with a subject of "Information Request".

Please go to the Your details section on the right side of the community site.

Click Private messages.

Click the subject title of the response to read the message.

You can reply by using the form in that display to provide the information requested.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• Hi Peter,

I would like to follow up with question you posted previously. Have you checked my private message? Could you please provide your service request number in private message as mentioned? After getting it, we can have a better understanding of the troubleshooting performed with support engineer previously. 

Thanks,
    Monica Tong