Changing Primary SMTP address in an ADFS/DirSync Environment

• 6 Followers
  • 8 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Hello all,

Looking for some help here.  We have our 365 environment up and running with ADFS and DirSync enabled.  Seems to be working very well.  However, we noticed that our primary email addresses are setup with the @ourdomain.onmicrosoft.com.  For example madv1457@acme.onmicrosoft.com rather than just madv1457@acme.com.  Our logins are good and using just using @acme.com.  Problem is that our reply from address is coming from madv1457@acme.onmicrosoft.com.

We saw that there is some PowerShell command called Set-Mailbox but for the life of us we cannot located the cmdlet. Can someone please provide some guidance on how we can get the primary email address updated given this environment

Thank you for the help!

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Hi MADV1457,

Thanks for your post. To ensure the STMP address match the domain name which the user uses in Office365 by using dirsync. We need to change the UPN on local and match the verified domain name.

Let's say the user on local-domain named user@domain.local, we need to change the UPN to user@domain.com. The domain name should be matched the verified domain name on Office365. onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../ff652540.aspx

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
    Suggested by
  • Hi Neo,

Thanks for the response.  Problem is that was already done.  We changed all the user's UPN names in our on-premise AD and those are being reflected in O365 correct.  For example, when we look at a user's details, their username is properly sync'd with AD and showing username@ourdomain.com which is correct.  However, the primary email address is still show @ourdomain.onmicrosoft.com.  This is shown my drilling into the exchange mailbox settings for the user and is located under E-Mail Options.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Neo Zhu,

I'm working with MADV1457 on this issue. I wanted to clarify that prior to implementing ADFS and DirSync we added the desired UPN to our local AD in this case: @acme.com was added as a UPN before converting the domain: hsdyn.com (this domain was already verified in O365). The local AD has an original domain name of: corp.acme.com we then immedidately added the UPN: @acme.com to the local AD and then proceeded with gettting up ADFS and DirSync. I'm wondering if maybe causing O365 to be confused somehow?  

• Not Ranked
  • Hi RIC11003,

As long as domain @acme.com has been added and verified in Office 365, nothing would confuse Office 365 for syncing users. If you are working with MADV1457, please use ADSIEdit.msc to check the the following attributes in local AD.

On-premises Active Directory attribute name Example On-premises Active Directory attribute value Example Exchange Online email addresses
    proxyAddresses SMTP:user1@contoso.com Primary SMTP: user1@contoso.com
    Secondary SMTP:
    user@contoso.onmicrosoft.com
    proxyAddresses smtp:user1@contoso.com Primary SMTP: user@contoso.onmicrosoft.com Secondary SMTP: user1@contoso.com
    proxyAddresses SMTP:user1@contoso.com
    smtp:user1@sub.contoso.com
    Primary SMTP: user1@contoso.com
    Secondary SMTP:
    user@sub.contoso.com
    Secondary SMTP: user@contoso.onmicrosoft.com
    mail User1@contoso.com Primary SMTP: user1@contoso.com
    Secondary SMTP:
    UserPrinicpalName User1@contoso.com Primary SMTP: user1@contoso.com
    Secondary SMTP:

Please update the corresponding attributes for local users, and force the DirSync to run to see if the primary SMTP address can be updated. 

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Male
  • Hi Reken Liu,

This is the fix!  This KB has all the details as well: support.microsoft.com/.../2492140 (got this from Support)

Thank you all for reponses!

• Not Ranked
  • Hi,

Nice table. Everything is true but not for UPN.

In my AD all users have correct UPN (<user>@<domain>.com), but synced users have <domain>.onmicrosoft.com addresses until I change 'mail' or 'proxyAddresses' to '<user>@<domain>.com'.

Regards,

Talip

• Not Ranked
  • This is all fine and dandy and works perfectly BUT! I have 1000+ users that need to be migrated. Do i need to do this to all of the users individually or is there a tool that can do this?

• Not Ranked
  • Hi all,

Sorry for the delayed the response. For all the reasons, I’ll suggest creating a new case , so that we can take a look the environment and help you to work on it.

Best Regards,

Neo  

• Top 25 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)