No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Global Address list and Offline GAL

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi All,

Maybe I am being a bit thick but could someone clarify the following for me?

Making a change to a contact in the GAL is seen immediately in the OWA address list. In Outlook looking at the global address list (Not offline) does not show those changes. Where is Exchange Online storing those changes if not in the GAL? Does this mean I have to wait for the 5am update?

Many Thanks

Gideon

Verified Answer
  • Hello Gideon,

If Outlook is in cached mode -- the default, recommended mode when using Outlook with Exchange Online -- the GAL is not live, regardless of any nomenclature in the address list.  You're still looking at a snapshot of the GAL.  The server shown is where Outlook is pulling its information.

All Replies
  • Hello Gideon,

The GAL you see when you look at it in Outlook is actually the OAB (Offline Address Book).  It may take up to 24 hours to update, when the Exchange Server publishes GAL changes out to its clients.  This is the default behavior of Outlook in cached mode (recommended when using Exchange Online).

The GAL you see when looking at it in OWA is the "live" GAL.  OWA doesn't store anything like the OAB locally so it is always in "live" mode and its requests are met immediately.

• Hi Chase

I understand that but if I go to the address book, choose global address list (Not offline), check the properties. That is connected to AMSPRD0702.mailbox.outlook.com. The hierarchy show global address list. I assume that this is the live, the same one that OWA uses? Am I correct?

Thanks

Gideon

• Hello Gideon,

If Outlook is in cached mode -- the default, recommended mode when using Outlook with Exchange Online -- the GAL is not live, regardless of any nomenclature in the address list.  You're still looking at a snapshot of the GAL.  The server shown is where Outlook is pulling its information.