No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Outllook email for Office 365

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)
My outlook web email tells me I have a configuration problem with the server when I try to attach even a small photo.
All Replies
  • Hi Sled,

Thanks for your posting here.
    To troubleshoot the issue, would you please perform the following steps?
    1. Verify your web browser is supported for Outlook Web App (OWA) and Exchange Online.
    Please see the article below and make sure your web browser is in the support list.
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/bb899685.aspx

2. Verify the photo size meets the limit of message limits.
    The maximum size of an e-mail message including the message header, the message body, and any file attachments is 25 MB and in OWA, the maximum individual file attachment size is 10 MB.
    For more information about these and other limits, see the following article: Message, Mailbox, and Recipient Limits.

If this does not help, please change another computer and insert the picture again, to see if the issue persists.

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Thank you, I think my browser is supported.

I'm using MAC OS X 10.5.8

Firefox 10.0.2

I only have 30 kbs dial up connection speed.

The photos I am trying to upload are only 294 kb.

Can their be another problem? Thanks

• Hi Sled,

Thanks for your reply.
    Is there any update on the status of the issue when you try to insert the picture with another computer? Can you send this email successfully?

In addition, to help us narrow down the issue, please confirm the following information.
    1. Change the compress this photo to .rar file and then send it again, to see if any improvement.
    2. Is there any other person experiencing the same issue when they send this photo in OWA?

If all people in your organization could not send this photo picture, please verify if this kind of type is supported in OWA and in your organization.
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ms.exch.owap.attachmentpremium.aspx

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Hi Sled,

How is everything going? We appreciate an update on the status of the issue.

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• My dial up connection speed is 32 KBS.

7 minutes after trying to load an Inline picture (size 84kb), the following error message appears -

"The action you tried to perform couldn't be completed because there's a configuration problem on the server. If the problem continues, contact your helpdesk."

I do not know what this means. Please help.

Thank you.

• Hi Sled,

Have you tried to compress the photo to .rar file and upload it again? Can you send it successfully?

If it still couldn’t send, for further troubleshooting this issue, please perform the following information to see if any improvement.
    1. Change other network environment and upload again.
    2. Please set up Mail for Mac OS X to the account and use the client insert and send this photo, to see if it can be sent successfully.

3. Is there any other person experiencing the same issue in your organization? Would you please change another computer and try again?

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• What is a ".rar file" ? Is that for MAC?

Would I have to convert all of my photos to an .rar file to send them in an email message?

The instructions in your link are inaccurate, part of the instructions do not work.

I am able to send simple text document attachments.

I am the only person in my organization. Only me. All I need is a simple Email program and a VERY basic web site capable of only pictures and text.

I have no other computer.

Are we sure that Office 365 Outlook can send small photos on a 30 kb dial up internet connection?

I had no problem with OLSB.

Please help, I did pay?  Thank you

• Hi Sled,

Thanks for your reply.
    In general, Office 365 supports to send email attached a picture both in Outlook and Outlook Web App (OWA). As you experienced the issue, based on my experience, it may be caused by an unstable network environment, a problem web browser or not an unsupported picture file.

As I have suggest to change another network environment or convert the photo to .rar file, which is a kind of type of compressed file, is there any update on the status of it? Besides the .rar file, you may also convert the photo to .zip file if .rar is not supported on your environment.

From your description, it seems that you have installed client Outlook on your side. If so, would you please send the email message using this client and see if this email can be sent? Or change another web browser for a test?

In addition, when you say part of instructions do not work, would you mind me know which steps have you stopped at? I will continue checking it for you.

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• How do I set up Mail for Mac OS X for POP3 or IMAP4 access to my e-mail account?

1. Open Mail, and then do one of the following:

◦ If you've never set up any e-mail accounts using Mail, the Welcome to Mail page appears. Go to step 2.

◦ If you've already created e-mail accounts using Mail, on the Mail menu, click Preferences. On the Accounts tab, click the plus sign (+) at the bottom of the navigation pane to open the Add Account window.

2. On the Welcome to Mail or Add Account window:

1. In the Full Name box, enter the name you want to display to people you send e-mail to.

2. In the Email Address box, enter your primary e-mail address.

3. In the Password box, enter the password for your Outlook Web App account, and then click Continue.

3. In the Incoming Mail Server window, enter the following:

1. Next to Account Type, select POP or IMAP. IMAP supports more features.

2. In the Description box, enter a name that will remind you what this e-mail account is for.

3. In the Incoming Mail Server box, enter the IMAP4 or POP3 server name. For information about how to find your incoming (POP3 or IMAP4) server name, see How do I find the server settings? later in this topic.

4. In the User Name box, enter your primary e-mail address.

5. In the Password box, enter the password for e-mail account if it's not already shown in that field.

6. Click Continue. Mail will test your connection to the incoming server using default settings.

I do not see nor can find "preferences" on Office 365 Outlook web app. There is only "Options"

In options I can find "My Account" and the link for "Settings for POP, IMAP, and SMTP access.

These are the protocol settings listed.

Use these settings to access your e-mail using POP, IMAP, or SMTP.

POP setting

Server name: pod51010.outlook.com

Port: 995

Encryption method: SSL

IMAP setting

Port: 993

Encryption method: SSL

SMTP setting

Port: 587

Encryption method: TLS

In Outlook for MAC 2011, under "tools' I can find "Accounts".

• After 3 weeks Outlook is still downloading my OLSB contacts. How many weeks is this supposed to take? It says it has completed 95 of 407.

So far I have over 70 work hours involved in trying to transition from OLSB to Office 365. I have also paid an expert $60 for helping to set up my Office 365.

Are you sure this isn't some kind of gimmick for destroying online small businesses?

I have lost 80% of my business. Which accounts for at least $100 per day.

Maybe Office 365 will not work with dial up.