No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

SPAM filter - create transport rule

This question is answered This question is answered

I want end-users to be able to manage SPAM emails using their junk mailbox.

I have set the SPAM action in FOPE to mark X-header with the text X_SPAM.

I believe I need to create a transport rule to detect this header.

In the new rule box, I have selected the option to If... A message header... matches these text patterns.

At this point, I have two options, one for Enter text and on for enter text pattern. Clearly, my 'X-SPAM' should go in one of these, but which one? And what should go in the other?

Also, what number should go into the SCL to move it to Junk?

Finally, could you confirm that my method for making sure SPAM goes into junk mail rather than quarantine or elsewhere is correct?

Kind regards,

Chris

Verified Answer
  • Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting here.
    By default, junk e-mail filtering is enabled on all mailboxes in the cloud-based e-mail service. End users can manage some spam settings for their own mailbox. Use the Block or Allow tab to help control unwanted and unsolicited messages by creating and managing lists of e-mail addresses and domains that you trust and those you don't. For more information about how they can manage spam, see Junk E-Mail Settings.

In addition, the cloud-based e-mail service infrastructure has fixed SCL thresholds that define what action is taken at a specific SCL. If SCL is greater than 7, the message is deleted at the gateway server for the cloud-based e-mail service. If the SCL is between 4 and 6, the message is delivered to the cloud-based user mailbox’s Junk e-mail folder. If the SCL is less than 4, the message is delivered to the cloud-based user mailbox’s Inbox.

However, as a FOPE administrator, you can change the actions for the SCL thresholds in the FOPE Administration Center, where you can also configure other message hygiene-related settings, such as IP safelists, quarantine, and message scanning.

For More information about spam filtering, please refer to the article below:
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/beta/dd251294.aspx

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

All Replies
  • Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting here.
    By default, junk e-mail filtering is enabled on all mailboxes in the cloud-based e-mail service. End users can manage some spam settings for their own mailbox. Use the Block or Allow tab to help control unwanted and unsolicited messages by creating and managing lists of e-mail addresses and domains that you trust and those you don't. For more information about how they can manage spam, see Junk E-Mail Settings.

In addition, the cloud-based e-mail service infrastructure has fixed SCL thresholds that define what action is taken at a specific SCL. If SCL is greater than 7, the message is deleted at the gateway server for the cloud-based e-mail service. If the SCL is between 4 and 6, the message is delivered to the cloud-based user mailbox’s Junk e-mail folder. If the SCL is less than 4, the message is delivered to the cloud-based user mailbox’s Inbox.

However, as a FOPE administrator, you can change the actions for the SCL thresholds in the FOPE Administration Center, where you can also configure other message hygiene-related settings, such as IP safelists, quarantine, and message scanning.

For More information about spam filtering, please refer to the article below:
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/beta/dd251294.aspx

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Hi Chris,

Just check in to see whether the information provided is useful for you.

If you need addition assistance, please feel free to post in the forum. We will be more than happy to be of help.

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Hi, yes that appears to answer it. I'm waiting for my client to get back to me to see whether he has found the emails that should be in the junk box.

Regards,

Chris

• Hi Chris,

We appreciate your feedback.

If there is any update about the status of the problem, please feel free to post here. We will continue checking it for you.

Best Regards,
    Grace Shi