No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Oulook Sync

This question is answered This question is answered

Is there a way to change how often Oulook 2010 Desktop syncs with Exchange online? It seems to be syncing only every hour. 

We have some linked accounts as well and Exchange online does not seem to fetch the emails from these external accounts all that often. Just wondering if there is a way to set the frequency it does this?

Verified Answer
  • Hi Michael,

For your first question, I would like to confirm if the situation is after receiving emails from Outlook Web App (OWA), it would take one hour or so for those messages to appear in your Outlook 2010.

If this is the case, you may change to another network and test if the sync speed would be faster.

For your second question, you may first refer to the link below for FAQs: Downloading E-Mail from Connected Accounts: help.outlook.com/.../cc825484.aspx

"How often is my mail downloaded from my connected account's mailbox to Outlook Web App?

E-mail is downloaded from your connected accounts every hour when you’re not signed in to Outlook Web App. When you are signed in to Outlook Web App, e-mail is downloaded more frequently. To download e-mail from your connected accounts at any time, click the Check Messages button at the top of the message list view."

If you have an account that needs to be checked more frequently, I'd suggest the following option for you:

Configure the account to automatically forward messages to your Office 365 account. In this way the emails will get pushed in the inbox in a short time, thus you would not have to wait for a pull.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Thanks Anna,

The situation is if they appear in OWA, they do appear in Outlook 2010 pretty quickly. I have discovered the issue is more the external accounts. We have sorted this by having OWA open on a computer, that way it will sync more regularly with all devices.

Thanks again for you assistance.

M

All Replies
  • Hi Michael,

For your first question, I would like to confirm if the situation is after receiving emails from Outlook Web App (OWA), it would take one hour or so for those messages to appear in your Outlook 2010.

If this is the case, you may change to another network and test if the sync speed would be faster.

For your second question, you may first refer to the link below for FAQs: Downloading E-Mail from Connected Accounts: help.outlook.com/.../cc825484.aspx

"How often is my mail downloaded from my connected account's mailbox to Outlook Web App?

E-mail is downloaded from your connected accounts every hour when you’re not signed in to Outlook Web App. When you are signed in to Outlook Web App, e-mail is downloaded more frequently. To download e-mail from your connected accounts at any time, click the Check Messages button at the top of the message list view."

If you have an account that needs to be checked more frequently, I'd suggest the following option for you:

Configure the account to automatically forward messages to your Office 365 account. In this way the emails will get pushed in the inbox in a short time, thus you would not have to wait for a pull.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• What does "change to another network" mean, Anna?  

• Hi,

In your Outlook 2010 client go to "Files -> Options -> Advanced -> Scroll down to "Send/Receive" -> Edit the "Schedule an automatic send/receive every" 2 mintues.

Atleast thats what i have done.

I hope that helps.

Regards.

• Also wondering about what you mean about changing networks as well? Thanks for the response. M

• Hi Michael,

If the situation you encountered is as I described that it would take one hour for messages received in OWA to appear in Outlook 2010, it would be likely that the issue is caused by the network you are using in your company. You may change to the another network using at home or a coffee shop to check the sync speed. If the messages received in OWA would appear in Outlook 2010 almost at the same time in another network, then the reason for the issue could be narrowed down to the problem of the network in your company.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Thanks Anna,

The situation is if they appear in OWA, they do appear in Outlook 2010 pretty quickly. I have discovered the issue is more the external accounts. We have sorted this by having OWA open on a computer, that way it will sync more regularly with all devices.

Thanks again for you assistance.

M

• Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply and the detailed additional feedback on how you were successful in resolving this issue. I have marked your answer as an answer for this issue. This is so others may benefit from the suggested resolution.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo