No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Can't add alias to user as is says account is sync'd with On Premise AD, but this is not set up.

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi,

I am trying to add alias email to all users in Exchange online management pages but i get this message:

"The operation on mailbox "Username" failed because it's out of the current user's write scope. The action 'Set-Mailbox', 'EmailAddresses', can't be performed on the object 'Username' because the object is being synchronized from your on-premises organization. This action should be performed on the object in your on-premises organization."

The problem is that i have not set up AD sync and all the users have been manually created via the management website.

Does anybody know what the issue is and how to rectify it?

Thanks in advance.

All Replies
  • Hello Cityfibre,

It looks like you've enabled DirSync for your company, which means that your users are listed as controlled by your local AD even if you've created them in the Portal.  As we can't currently disable your DirSync, you'll want to setup the DirSync tool in your local AD and you should then be able to use the local AD to control those user accounts.