365 ProPlus desktop apps on RDS

• Hello All, 

I'm trying to get a definative answer to this question.  Every search I do comes up with confilicting answers.  Our current environment supports users through remote destop sessions on 2008 R2.  Each user currently has Office 2003 pro.  I want to upgrade them to 2013 Pro Plus but can not find out how to do this  or even if it will work in this configuration.  I only need 6 licenses but the users will need to have the desktop versions of the apps on RDS.  Some articles say this can be done, some say it can't some say I can't use 365 some say I can only use 2013 pro plus and others say you have to have this type of license or that type of license.   So what to do? 

• Hi joeKM,

We have a support team for Office 2013. Based on your description, I suggest you go to Office community to ask this question. I suggest you can download Office 2013 trial to test it in your environment via the following link.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/jj192782.aspx

As far as I know, you can use only a Volume License edition of Office on a Remote Desktop Session Host server. Volume License editions are available only for Windows Installer-based versions of Office. Here is the article for your reference.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee624360.aspx
    Meanwhile, you can monitor this thread to see if other users with experience about it will help you.

Thanks,
    August Sun

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Why cant we get a definitive answer on this?  It is clearly laid out in the Product Use Rights (January 2013).

www.microsoftvolumelicensing.com/DocumentSearch.aspx

I am a Microsoft Partner and I need to know this in order to suggest the correct licensing for my clients.  

The documents says you Must the Volume Licensing Bits with a Volume License MAK.  The problem is that no one knows where to acquire these.  If my customer doesn't have volume Licensing to begin with, then they wont be able to log into the MVLS site and get these.  

Come on Microsoft you have had a week to understand the new release features... get on it!!!

• So I spoke with Office365 tech support today and even they were confused.  Each source they checked had conflicting information about installing the desktop apps on TS.  They even admitted that the Product Use Rights noted above indicate that this can be done but they had no informaiton on how to do this.  I was able to get some decent information via a product matrix from CDW: www.cdw.com/.../microsoft-office-2013.aspx   as you can see from it the 365 proplus subscription is not listed for RDC install.    I must say that Microsoft really dropped the ball on this one.  I have so many clients utilizing RDS for very specific reasons.  All of them would sign up today for 365 because of the cost savings of a subscription plan.  It is a shame Microsoft ignores these users.  Might have to start training folks to use Libre Office or Open Office, it would take less time than trying to sort through these issues.

• Ok, I actually went ahead and tried to install the new Office 2013 Office 365 install on a Windows 2012 Server RDS Server.  Everything went great until after the install I opened up Outlook to configure the profile.  The profile configured and then the "This cannot be installed on terminal services error came up".  SO CLOSE!

Here is the missing link in the product use document:

Item number 3 is exactly what we are looking for, but the * pointing to the note below is what I cant find any information on.

*Please see the Product List for deployment options when using RDS

(WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?)

I opened up a case with Office 365 support... I keep updating them with my findings.  We will get to the bottom of this!!

INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS

1. Each user to whom you assign a User SL may activate the software for local or remote use on up to five concurrent OSEs.

2. The Licensed User may also use the software activated by another user under a different User SL.

3. Each user may also use one of the five activations on a network server with the Remote Desktop Services (RDS) role enabled.*

4. You may allow other users to remotely access the software solely to provide support services.

* Please see the Product List for deployment options when using RDS.

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Update - Further down the rabbit hole!

www.microsoftvolumelicensing.com/.../ProductPage.aspx

Check this out:

Media Eligibility with Remote Desktop Services (RDS)

If the user to whom you have assigned an Office 365 ProPlus license uses the software on a network server with RDS role enabled, in lieu of installing a copy of the software provided with Office 365 ProPlus on one of the five permitted devices pursuant to the Product Use Rights for Office 365 ProPlus, that user may 1) install one copy of the Office Professional Plus 2013 software on a network server and 2) access the Office Professional Plus 2013 software from any device. Upon termination of your Office 365 ProPlus subscription you must uninstall Office Professional Plus 2013 software from the network server.

• Chris,

What install source did you use?  An Office 2013 ProPlus Volume License?  I know the Retail copy won't work.  I just purchased 5 copies of Office 2013 for this client and don't want to blow 2500.00 if this won't work.

• I signed up for a trial for Office 365.  You now get the new Wave 15 with any new installs or trials.  I went to the new portal and then to downloads.  This is the install file that users would use to install on their desktops.  It looks like it is still considered a retail version "WHICH WILL NOT INSTALL ON A TS".  The retail copies you purchased will not work on the TS.  

It seems that from the last update I posted you are able to substitute an E3 for a Volume License on the RDS server.  The problem is .. what if I have a new client that doesn't have volume licensing... you have to buy a minimum of 5, so I am assuming Microsoft is thinking this scenario:

I have 30 users that access the RDS:  They all need Office on their desktop and the RDS server

1.  Buy 5 VL Licenses - those users will already have Office and only need E1 licenses

2.  Buy 25 - E3 Plan -  which is substituted for VL on the RDS Server

This is better, but MS should figure out how to get a VL download and a VL Key so I don't have to have my customers purchase VL to further complicate things.  

I don't understand who works as MS, but I am a Cloud Partner and I seem to know more about their product than they do.

• I don't think my previous post came through, here is where I finally found the volume licensing info:

If the user to whom you have assigned an Office 365 ProPlus license uses the software on a network server with RDS role enabled, in lieu of installing a copy of the software provided with Office 365 ProPlus on one of the five permitted devices pursuant to the Product Use Rights for Office 365 ProPlus, that user may 1) install one copy of the Office Professional Plus 2013 software on a network server and 2) access the Office Professional Plus 2013 software from any device. Upon termination of your Office 365 ProPlus subscription you must uninstall Office Professional Plus 2013 software from the network server.

• So basically according to Microsoft and the various usage and licensing documents we are well within our right to run Office 2013 Pro Plus desktop apps via a 365 subscription.  This still leaves us hanging because we are not provided a proper install source via the 365 portal.  So how do we get this resolved?

• On a side note, at least people at Microsoft are actively working on revamping the licensing restrictions of

Office 2013.    www.engadget.com/.../microsoft-office-2013-license-transferable

• Apologized to make things bit confused here. Here we’d like to share with you differential between Office 365 ProPlus and Office Professional Plus 2013

Office 365 ProPlus:

Office Professional Plus 2013

Hope above information is helpful for you. Fee feel to post pack if you have any questions.

• Jack,

Thank you for the reply.  But the main issue here is that Microsoft has published Product Use Rights (Jan 2013) and Licensing rights that clearly indicate the desktop apps can be installed on Remote Desktop Sessions with an office365 Pro Plus subscription.  (Or am I and the other posters/tech support reading this wrong?)

www.microsoftvolumelicensing.com/DocumentSearch.aspx

Consumers are signing up for the Office365 subscription and discovering that they can not install the software via Office365 and instead have to purchase Office 2013 Pro Plus as a standalone product on top of an Office365 Pro Plus subscription. So as I see it, Microsoft needs to change the licensing documentation or provide install media to Office365 subscribers.  This is a huge issue for SMB's, resellers and ASP's utilizing Terminal Services or Citrix.   I really can't believe Microsoft has left this segment in the dark like this. I already have clients telling me not to bother and to just switch them to Google Apps.  And who want's to do that?

Thanks,

Joe

• Hi Joe,

Microsoft doesn’t provide technical support for customer or partner issues related to the installation or use of Office 365 on a server running Remote Desktop Services in Windows Server 2008 R2 or on a server running Terminal Services in Windows Server 2008. This means that when you install Office 365 ProPlus Preview as part of your subscription service on Office 365, you can’t install it on servers.
    Here’s the reference:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-suite-help/software-requirements-for-office-365-enterprise-and-office-365-midsize-business-HA102817357.aspx?redir=0

Thanks,
    August Sun

• August,

Thank you for your reply but every support person reading and responding to this is ignoring the clearly stated fact that Microsoft has published the following:

INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS

1. Each user to whom you assign a User SL may activate the software for local or remote use on up to five concurrent OSEs.

2. The Licensed User may also use the software activated by another user under a different User SL.

3. Each user may also use one of the five activations on a network server with the Remote Desktop Services (RDS) role enabled.*

4. You may allow other users to remotely access the software solely to provide support services.

And in the Product Use Rights updated published Jan 2013 by Microsoft:

So based on the above, a subscriber to Office365 can use Office Professional Plus 2013 desktop apps on RDS.    So the issue is still that Microsoft does not provide the proper install media for the above usage through Office365.

As for 2008 R2 please keep in mind that this software was still being sold to customers last year.  Not supporting it is just a knife in the back to customers who had to purchase it.

Please escalate this issue to upper management as there is far too much conflicting information put out by Microsoft.