Users Not Syncing Between Office 365 and Microsoft CRM

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

Dear Office 365 Community:

We have recently added Microsoft CRM to our subscription of Office 365. The users in Office 365 with Administrator access sync over to Microsoft CRM but none of the other users sync over.

We contacted support but it appears we have ended up in a blackhole. They say they may get back with us in 1 to 2 weeks about the issue and keep asking if they can close the case (not good.)

Can someone either confirm for me if they are having the same problem and that Microsoft CRM with Office 365 isn't ready for primetime or how we can resolve the problem so we can grant our users access to Microsoft CRM?

P.S. We are not using any on-premise federation or AD integration services. Our users are 100% stored and managed in Office 365.

Thanks,

Micky 

All Replies
  • Hi Micky,

Based on your description, I suggest you refer to Synchronized Users in Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online and Office 365 to see if it helps. Please pay attention to the Create a User for Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online That Can Be Synchronized with Office 365 section.
    Moreover, if the issue persists, it is recommended that you post a new thread in the Microsoft Dynamic CRM Forum which provides you with more professional and efficient help and support.

Thanks,
    Allen Zhang

• Allen:

Thanks for the reply. I checked out the article but that is probably above my pay grade. It has commands and other things that looks like something we don't have access to. I am a Microsoft Partner but I do everything I can to avoid the dreaded powershell (thats why we use Office 365 in the first place so everything is GUI based.)

I posted a message also on Microsoft CRM's message board also. social.msdn.microsoft.com/.../3d79c209-7c20-4c57-aa1e-22e46922c225

I posted on my Twitter about the issue and someone from Office 365 posted this link: technet.microsoft.com/.../jj863696.aspx I followed those instruction but Office 365 users are still not showing up in Microsoft CRM.

Before I posted this message, I had spoken with support at Office 365 and they said that Office 365 users not showing up in Microsoft CRM was a known issue and can take up to 2 weeks for engineers to resolve the problem. In the meantime, they said to make a user a Global Administrator in Office 365 and the user will show up. That does work. However, support said this was limited and should only be done for a couple of users. We have done that to move over our administrators but now we are needing to enable all our Office 365 users. The 2 weeks have gone by and I can't get Office 365 support to call me back (even though they said they would call me daily.)

Can you investigate for me inside Microsoft Office 365 and Microsoft CRM is this is truly a known issue? I am not hearing any noise on the Internet and the Service Health Dashboard shows everything working good.

I really need help resolving this issue because we need to go live with Microsoft CRM but having no users logins and passwords is making this quite difficult. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Micky

• Hi Micky,

According to your reply, you have submitted an Office 365 Service Request. Please provide me with the Service Request number via private message, then I can help you check the status of the Service Request.
    I have sent you a private message with the subject SR number request. Please follow the steps below to reply to it:
    • Go to the Your details section on the right side of the community site.
    • Click Private messages.
    • Click the subject title of the response to read the message.
    • You can reply by using the form in this display.
    • Click Submit Reply.

Thanks,
    Allen Zhang

• Thanks Allen. I sent you the ticket information and would greatly appreciate you help with this issue. This problem has now gone on for 10 days and as a Microsoft Partner, it is quite embarrassing.

I spoke to Office 365 tech support again about our problem just a few minutes ago. Nitesh is my main contact but he was out so I spoke to Naveen, Nitesh's Tech Lead. He said the problem is that Office 365 users that existed before we added Microsoft CRM to our subscription are not able to sync over. Their solution was to recreate the users in Office 365. When I pointed out that deleting the users and recreating them would impact their email service, they agreed that probably wasn't a good solution.

They said operations was looking into the issue. Are one else having this issue with Office 365 + Microsoft CRM?

Thanks,

Micky

• Hi Micky,

I have checked the Service Request of yours and found that the status is still open. This means our support engineers are still working on it.

I will continue to monitor the SR status and post any updates I find.

Thanks,

Allen Zhang

• I can say that we are having the same issue.  I have assigned 8 CRM licenses to users in O365 Portal and none are syncing to CRM

• Hi cuitguy,

If the issue persists from your side, please post a new thread and try to find your solution via Dynamics CRM Forums.

Thanks,
    Allen Zhang

• Dear cuitguy:

Instead of starting a new thread at Dynamics CRM, you can reply to the one I have already started there. It is located at:

social.microsoft.com/.../3d79c209-7c20-4c57-aa1e-22e46922c225

Also, be sure to open a support case in Office 365. When they contact you, instruct them not to close the case until the problem is resolved. They will try to tell you that there is a fix coming soon for this issue and ask if they can close the case. My case has been now open 3 weeks and I have to fight with support to not close the case. Apparently, support agents are rewarded for the time it takes them to close a case even when the problem hasn't been resolved. Bad Microsoft!

My support technician will call me every once in a while (I assume from India because of the strong dialect) to give me updates on my case. He at first told me this would be resolved in a matter of a few days but that was 3 weeks ago. Since then, I think even he has grown disappointed and even frustrated in Microsoft inability to resolve this major issue.  

One solution he asked me to try was to delete all my Office 365 users and recreate them. When I asked about their exchange mailbox, he understood quickly how crazy a solution that was. Then he recommended we make the users Global Administrators but limit this to 1 or 2 users only because this was not fully supported (I can't believe this actually made it as a possible solution.)

The last I spoke with my support agent (who has been really empathetic to my pain and frustration with this issue) told me that he has had several clients with this issue. His back office had told him the problem was resolved about a week ago but after speaking with me, he learned that they must have been wrong as the problem has not been resolved.

The problem apparently, based on what my support agents has said, is with users that existed in Office 365 before we added Microsoft CRM to our Office 365 service. These users are never showing up in Microsoft CRM yet they are enabled for Microsoft CRM and using a CRM license in Office 365. The work around is to either make the user an admin or recreate the user (neither of which I am interested in doing). I have created a new users in our Office 365 to verify if a new users will show up but that hasn't yet worked for me. I will give that more time to see if it just takes hours or even days for the new user to show up in Microsoft CRM. My support agent from Office 365 has said that he has brought this continuation of this bug to the back office attention again and he will contact me to give me an update soon.

Speaking of hearing from my support agent, I am going to call him now. It has been a few days since I have heard from him and I want to make sure the wheel that squeaks gets the grease!

Anyone who is reading this that has suffered from this issue, please post any new information you find about this issue. We will all appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,

Micky Thompson

• Hi Micky,

I did open a support case and they were puzzled by issue as well cause we confirmed that everything was set correctly.  Then we scheduled a follow up call for today to continue troubleshooting.  However their was no need as I checked over the weekend and the users eventually did sync like 24 - 36 hrs later.  Way too long in my opinion but they did sync so yay.

• I'm also curious to know the outcome of this. We are just setting up Dynamics CRM Online but don't seem to have any synchronization with the Office 365 user that have licenses. Clearly making them all admins and/or deleting their Office 365 accounts is not viable so what do we do? Cuitguy - what did you do to get them synchronizing?

• I don't do anything but wait, sometimes its a few hours other times its 24-48hrs.  Since I don't have control of the sync process I have no choice but to wait.  It would be nice if the CRM team added a button to sync now instead of waiting.  

• So I'm a bit baffled. I have one user, with a CRM license, who does not show. I have 2 other users without licenses and one account is even deleted who is showing. No idea how to fix this.

• Dear Fellow Microsoft CRM Admins:

I just posted an answer to this post below.

Thanks,

Micky Thompson

• Dear Fellow Microsoft CRM Admins:

I was able to find a solution to this problem after much investigation. Sorry I am just now posting the solution but I see some activity on this string and felt I should reply. Here are the steps to follow that solved our problem:

1. Login to portal.microsoftonline.com, the Microsoft Office 365 Portal

2. Select 'Admin', then select 'CRM' (you must be an administrator to see this link)

3. Select the specific CRM instance users are not syncing to and press 'Edit'.

4. Look for "Instance Security Group:". Is there a security group listed? If yes, then only users that are a member of or added to this specific Security Group will sync to this CRM instance. If you wish for all CRM enabled users to sync to this instance, you can remove this security group making the "Instance Security Group:" blank and saving the setting. By making this field blank, all users with CRM enabled will sync to this instance.

The Microsoft definition for a 'Instance Security Group' is: "Specifies which users will be added to your instance. If not specified, all users with a Microsoft Dynamics CRM license will be added to this instance. To set the security group, you will first need to create a security group in Office 365."

Please let us know if this solves your problem.

Thanks,

Micky Thompson

• Thanks Micky. This explains half of what is occurring. I have 2 users I added to the security group yesterday and, yes, they are now coming over to the CRM so it seems if I add my "missing" CRM user they will come over also (I'll give it a try now). What I'm still baffled on is the ones who are not in the security group. How do I delete them? When I try it says that members from the parent business cannot be deleted. I think they may have been added manually when we were initially exploring Dynamics but we have no data associated with them so I'd like to remove them but can't seem to see how.