Anonymous Authentication not available in Outlook 2007

This question is answered This question is answered

I deployed Office 365 in an office of about 10 PCs. All went smooth except 3. It kept on popping up asking for username and password. I investigated and the only thing I could come up with was that these 3 PCs were upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007 where as the others were not.

So I tried to setup Office 365 manually but came across one option that is not available. On my previous setups of O365 I've noticed that Autodiscover sets the network security to Negotiate Authentication where as in the more recent ones it sets it to Basic Authentication. Well it turns out on these 3 PCs Basic is not available. I've attached a snapshot. Could this be why Autodiscover setup is failing in Outlook 2007? all updates are installed as well. I tried removing, full clean up of Office and reinstall but still same issue. This cannot be a group policy because one there's no group policy for Office, and two if it was, all machines would be affected. Please see image below:

Verified Answer
  • To get Anonymous Authentication for Outlook 2007 to use Office 365 hosted exchange you must install KB2768023. To get Anonymous Authentication for Outlook 2010 to use Office 365 hosted exchange you must install KB2687608. I did all the testing and it works once these hotfixes or updates are installed. My tests were done after installing SP3 for Office 2007 and after installing SP2 for Office 2010.

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

All Replies
  • Hi vttech,

We recommend you check if these users’ passwords are about to expire. Based on my knowledge, when user’s password is going to expire, Outlook will continue popping out a dialog box for you to enter username and password.

Additionally, would you please configure the account using Autodiscover to see if it works? To do this, you need to add a CNAME record for your account. Here’s an article for your reference:

Thanks,
    Ella Huang
  • As I mentioned, it's not an Autodiscover issue as other machines are working fine. It's only the machines which have previously had Office 2003 installed, it was removed and Office 2007 was installed. Those machines are facing the issue of not being able to add O365 account. And as I mentioned, I believe it's related to a network security option as Anonymous Authentication doesn't seem to be available on those machines.

• Hi vttech,

To help troubleshoot the issue, we suggest disabling the Automatically detect settings feature in Internet Explorer to see if it works.

Some users once reported that after disabling it and closing IE, the Outlook 2007 auto discovery worked well.
    I also offer you a similar thread for your reference:

Thanks,
    Ella Huang
  • Hi vttech,

I’d like to follow up on the issue you posted previously. How is everything going? Have you found useful information from the above post?
    If there are still some problems, please feel free to post them here. It’s our honor to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Ella Huang
  • The problem still exists; Auto detect settings was off. I tried running Office remover to completely wipe and reinstall it but still no luck. I tried installing a trial of Office 2010 but same issue. This only happens on 3 machines which had Office 2003 installed so it leads me to believe somehow it's related to that.

For now I gave up; just set it up as iMAP which also gives a certificate error every time Outlook is opened. I've read it's related to a local domain issue but can't figure that out either.

• Hi vttech,

Please install the latest Office 365 Desktop Setup on your computer to check if the issue still persists.
    To install Office 365 Desktop Setup, please refer to the following link: http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/ff637594.aspx

In addition, I also recommend you configure the account in another computer to check whether the issue is related to the accounts.

Thanks,
    Aaron Yuan

• The O365 package is Exchange 1; it doesn't include the desktop version.

• Hi Vttech,

You can install manually updates for Office 365 Desktop: http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/ff637585.aspx#BKMK_Updates and http://community.office365.com/en-us/wikis/manage/562.aspx

Meanwhile, you can post your concern with Outlook community, too. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/outlook?auth=1

Thanks,

Pratik Pandya

• Dear all

I have the issue vttech descibes too. To be able to  connect Outlook to Exchange online 'Anonymous Verifcation' is required. On clients where 'Anonymous Verification' is missing, Outlook keeps requesting for username and password, but doesn't connect to the Exchange online server.

I've searched Registry and Internet multiple times but for an unknown reason on some Windows clients the option 'anonymous verfication'  is missing. And I don't want to reinstall the OS.

Please help, because I have multiple clients which have this issue and I can't migrate the users to Exchange online.

Thanks in advance

SC

• Yes any help would be much appreciated as I'm forced to setup iMAP on the clients with this problem. Of course OS reinstallation will most likely resolve the matter but not a solution in my case.

• Hi vttech

I've found a hint which might be helpfull. I'm testing right now

"If you are setting up Outlook 2007 and there is no anonymous authentication option then please run windows update and install all updates for the Office suite. "

source: o365guides.appriver.com/.../102269-outlook-2007-2010-2013-manual-setup-guide

regards

SC

• Dear all.

The hint on 0365guides was right in the bulls eye.  For Outlook 2010 you need to install KB2687503. after that Anonymous Authentication is present !

regards

SC

• I've already installed all Windows & Microsoft updates through Microsoft Updates site. Machine runs XP with Office 2007. Is there an equivalent patch for 2007?

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hi vttech,

I see that you've installed all Windows & Microsoft updates. If so, I'd like to know how are things going after you restart the computer. In addition, please make sure that you've installed the latest updates of Office 2007 and the latest updates for Office 365 Desktop.

Manually install Office 365 desktop updates
    http://community.office365.com/en-us/wikis/manage/562.aspx

@SmallClouds, thanks for your information.

Thanks,
    Aaron Yuan

0 out of 2 people found this post helpful.

• vttech

You can install KB2687503 also on Windows XP computers with Office 2007. It will also enable anonymous authentication (again).  I've tried.

Regards

SC