No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Public Website Name Change

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi I have a sharepoint public website which I setup under the trial edition.I have now subscribed and would like to change the name of the public website.

e.g.The trial website name

http://oldpublicwebsitename.sharepoint.com/

and change to

http://newpublicwebsitename.sharepoint.com/

Is it possible to change the name of the public website or account name ?

Many thanks

Kogo58

3 out of 3 people found this post helpful.

Verified Answer
  • Hi, it's usually not possible to change the account name once it has been set up. You could try to submit a service request and ask MS directly if they can change it, but I haven't seen anything like that so far

• Hello Kogo58,

It is not possible to change the .sharepoint.com public website name. However if you were to purchase a vanity domain through a domain registrar you could change the name that way.

More information can be found here onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../ff637620.aspx

As far as changing the account name, are you referring to changing the administrative account name?

Hope this answers your question regarding changing the name of the public website and I will be waiting on hearing back regarding the account name.

• Kogo58,

Do you mean the teamsite or the real public faced site? In the admin module there is a difference. First of all if you have the public face website (with anonymous access), that url can be changed to a www.xxxxxx.com just register the www.xxxx.com as a domain and combine it with the sharepoint online service. Change the url with the sharepoint admin site.

If you mean the team site, I guess that only within the P subscription change of url is possible. When I see your urls you want to change your base name of your subscription, that is not possible within the GUI. Perhaps via a service request.

• Did you need any further assistance with this Kogo58?

All Replies
  • Hi, it's usually not possible to change the account name once it has been set up. You could try to submit a service request and ask MS directly if they can change it, but I haven't seen anything like that so far

• Hello Kogo58,

It is not possible to change the .sharepoint.com public website name. However if you were to purchase a vanity domain through a domain registrar you could change the name that way.

More information can be found here onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../ff637620.aspx

As far as changing the account name, are you referring to changing the administrative account name?

Hope this answers your question regarding changing the name of the public website and I will be waiting on hearing back regarding the account name.

• Kogo58,

Do you mean the teamsite or the real public faced site? In the admin module there is a difference. First of all if you have the public face website (with anonymous access), that url can be changed to a www.xxxxxx.com just register the www.xxxx.com as a domain and combine it with the sharepoint online service. Change the url with the sharepoint admin site.

If you mean the team site, I guess that only within the P subscription change of url is possible. When I see your urls you want to change your base name of your subscription, that is not possible within the GUI. Perhaps via a service request.

• Did you need any further assistance with this Kogo58?

• HI Mike No thanks .I think what I have to do is end this subscription and the start again with the name I want.I just used the existing name b/c it was a trial now that I want to subscrbe and actually use it I just have to update

Many Thanks

Kogo58

• Hi Kogo58,

I really appreciate your patience and thank you for understanding.  I wish you the best of luck!