No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Office Add-On for Firefox/Safari

• 3 Followers
  • 10 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

I'm migrating a Mac/Windows environment to Office 365 - all users need to be able to easily view/edit/check in+out docs from SharePoint online.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/web-apps-help/system-requirements-for-opening-files-from-office-web-apps-in-office-desktop-applications-HA010378334.aspx says that I need the Office 2010 Add-On for Firefox to allow this but I cannot find this add-on anywhere.

Firefox reports it has Microsoft Office Live Plugin v1.0 already installed and not disabled.

I have the Office Document Connection installed and set up so I know that users can grab documents via that, but it would be great to use the links against each document in a SharePoint library to get direct access.

We are on OSX 10.4.11 or greater and have Office 2008 12.3.0 or greater.

Thanks,

Ben.

• Post Points: 35
Verified Answer
  • Ben,

I apologize for missing that above. Yes that would be the reason for the behavior related to opening in the browser. As far as the Desktop connector goes that would be the route you would have to use for your computers that use Office 2008. 2011 has the behavior that you are hoping for however.

Does this answer your questions?

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Greetings Ben,

Which version of Firefox are you using?

Firefox: Enable the Microsoft Office 2010 add-on

In Firefox 5.0

Drop down the Firefox button in the top left corner of the browser

Click Add-ons

Click Plugins

You should see the Microsoft Office 2010 plug-in that lets you open and edit files by using Microsoft Office applications.

Are you able to see the plug-in by following the above steps?

Also in regards to your questions concerning the Mac computers. Could you clarify exactly it is that you are trying to do in this statement? "But it would be great to use the links against each document in a SharePoint library to get direct access." The part that I am unclear on is the use the links against each document?

• Top 500 Contributor
  • Sorry if I wasn't clear.

In a document library, I would expect to be able to click the drop-down against a document and select "Edit in Microsoft Word" or "Check Out" and have the plug-in hand off to my locally installed copy of Word/Excel etc.

However, on some of the Macs we have Office 2008, so is this functionality only available in 2010?  If so I will ensure users have instructions on the Office Document Connection.

Thanks again,

Ben.

• Not Ranked
  • Ben,

The Office 2008 software is supported by Office 365.

What type of Office 365 subscription do you have? A Small Business or Enterprise account?

Also what options do you see when you click that drop down menu? Do you see the options for "Edit in Microsoft Word" or "Check Out"? If so what happens when you click those options? "Check Out" would not open the document in the Locally installed copy of Word/Excel etc.

However you could set the default behavior for opening documents when you click the link to "Open in the client application"  by going to Library Settings then the Advanced settings option. The option to change that behavior will be on this page.

• Top 500 Contributor
  • Did you need any further assistance with this issue Ben?

• Top 200 Contributor
    • Male
  • We are on plan E1.  Clicking the drop-down I see:

view in browser works ok

edit in browser works but E1 does not include web apps so we see an access denied message (as expected)

Edit in Microsoft Word I get:

The only options seems to be:

1. Check out the document
    2. Download a copy
    3. Make changes
    4. Upload it - a dialogue appears allowing you to check in

Or to use the Desktop Connector.

I guess I was hoping for something a bit smoother but perhaps that comes with Office 2010 on Mac :-)

I also tried the Library Settings | Advanced Settings | Open in Client Application setting but the behaviour is the same.

Thanks again for your help,

Ben.

• Not Ranked
  • Ben,

Is the Office Web Apps feature active under your Site Collection Features?

• Top 500 Contributor
  • I can't see that feature.  I've navigated to Site Actions | Site Settings | Manage Site Features and it's not there.

I assume this is just licensing as our E1 plan does not include Web Apps.

• Not Ranked
  • Ben,

Is the Office Web Apps feature active under your Site Collection Features?

• Top 500 Contributor
  • Ben,

I apologize for missing that above. Yes that would be the reason for the behavior related to opening in the browser. As far as the Desktop connector goes that would be the route you would have to use for your computers that use Office 2008. 2011 has the behavior that you are hoping for however.

Does this answer your questions?

• Top 500 Contributor
  • Thanks for confirming that Eric.

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)