Migrate from Inhouse to Office 365

• 14 Followers
  • 22 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Is there any documentation out that describes the process from migrating from an inhouse SharePoint implementation to Office 365?  I am concerned mostly about how the term store and global content types would be migrated.

• Post Points: 50
Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Hello Jennifer,

Current Office 365 support does not support or provide assistance with migrating of on-premises SharePoint content to SharePoint Online. There are tools and technologies provided by third-party partners to support this type of migration scenario.

Thank you,

Mark

• Not Ranked
    • Male
    • Post Points: 0
    Suggested by
  • Is there a list of third party tools that provide this?  We are currently facing a scenario where we will have to start onsite and then migrate to Office365.  Before we do this we need to better understand the issues.

• Not Ranked
    • Female
  • Hello Jennifer,

The Office 365 support team does not maintain a list of the Office 365 partners. I recommend that you follow the web link below to the Microsoft Office 365 Partner Program website.

office365.microsoft.com/.../partners.aspx

You will find a link in the bottom right of the Microsoft Office 365 Partner Program page labeled "Find a partner now".

Thank you,

Mark

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • This can't be the "final answer" to this extremely relavent question by the Office 365 community?  How about some of the third party SharePoint migration partners joining in - are there solutions coming?

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • I have the same requirement,  but i don't want to use a third party solution.

• Not Ranked
    Suggested by
  • Same here, have some good stuff on OSS2007 running on SBS2003.

I expect to have this migration functionality as part of the Office365, just like I can migrate Exchange, or migrate office documents.

MS Partners don't even want to touch a small implementation like mine, and if they even were interested they would be too expensive anyway.  They want to bill for the entire support staff, provide training, etc.

Come on MS!

This is almost like not having X64 support in Outlook 2010!

Or maybe even a better analogy.... not having a working migration for Quickbooks to Office Accounting!

• Not Ranked
  • I too cannot beleive that "talk to a partner" is the best answer that Microsoft has to offer to this very important question.  Why isn't there a Microsoft tool (or at least some basic guidance/documentation) for migrating from on-premises SP like there is for Exchange? For the vast majority of small to mid-size businesses (persuambly the target audience for Office365) a third-party solution will be too complicated and cost prohibitive.

• Not Ranked
  • Has anyone tried MetaVis Migrator? Per their website, "MetaVis Migrator is a ...tool for migrating SharePoint content and objects between existing (on-premise, hosted, Office 365) sites, site collection or servers... " www.metavistech.com/.../sharepoint-migration

I evaluated a trial today and it works well and is very easy to use.  I migrated a site with two subsites having a limited number of documents (the trial only lets you copy 5 objects at a time).

Per MetaVis, pricing is based on the amount of content you are migrating in GB. I have asked for pricing scenarios, but they have not gotten back to me yet.

I have no relationship with MetaVis.

- Mike

• Not Ranked
  • NICE REPORT ... I am sure I am not the only one interested in pricing.  We are quite certain that a number of companies have the solution for "larger Enterprise migrations" ... just do they scale down economically.

Our opinion is that Microsoft should just buy the solution and offer it to everyone ... at a low price point.

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • Mike,

Do you know if the MetaVis product maintains metadata and file version history?  Please post back if you get any additional info about that product.  I'm still very surprised that this important scenario seems to be an after-thought for Microsoft.  Essentially our decision on whether or not to move to Office365 pretty much stands on our ability to migrate our SP content and if that ends up being too expesnive then it's likely we'll scrap the whole migration project.

• Not Ranked
  • Microsoft appears to be leaving it to the partner channel. I don't expect them to provide a solution.

@ScottF, what do you consider to be "a low price point"?

• Not Ranked
  • @O365User

In my evaluation I found the anwsers to be Yes and Yes.  I migrated a site and it carried over custom metadata.  The migration wizard has an option to copy version history.   The only problem I found was that the Created By and Modified By values defaulted to my account. I believe this was user error on my part. MetaVis provides a means to map users, which I did not take advantage of.

• Not Ranked
  • Our market is 25 to 250 users and there are already Exchange migration products like MigrationWiz www.migrationwiz.com/.../Pricing.aspx that charge a flat rate of $9.99 per user.  So, considering that Office 365 should be priced at $10 per user per month - fo a LOT of functionality - I would be hard pressed to excite one of our customers for anything more that "a hunderd +/- per user" or a couple hundred per GB.  The last I checked the pricing models were carry overs from large Enterprise accounts at $2,000 to $9,000 PER SERVER.

That's why I am advocating that Microsoft "offer this" as a "low cost" - or free - add-on to Office 365.  We will simply avoid "comapnies who require migration" until this is resolved - there are lots of companies here in Silicon Valley that have never even heard about SharePoint !!!

• Not Ranked
    • Male
  • Just saw this while poking around the MigrationWiz Blog ... see, anything is possible  www.migrationwiz.com/.../Pricing.aspx

Oh yes ... I have ZERO AFFILIATION with MigrationWiz ... I sure wish they would attck the SharePoint migration issue!

• Not Ranked
    • Male
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1|2|