No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Access Denied on Team Site

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

I was trying to learn how to set permissions on the Team Site.  I believe I deleted Owner rights from the permissions.  After that I immediately got a message telling me that access is denied and to log in as a different user.  Since I am in the evaluation phase, I only had one user set up.  I managed to get back to the Home page by using the portal access in the start menu of Windows 7.  I created a new user and was still denied access.  In other words, the Team Site is total unavailable.  How can I get my permission back to access the site?

Here is the message.   I omitted my user name domain name.

Error: Access Denied

Error

Error: Access Denied

<>
 Current User
You are currently signed in as: larryh@xxxxxx.com
Sign in as a different user

0 out of 4 people found this post helpful.

All Replies
  • Hello Larry,
    Would you tell me which version of Office 365 subscription plan you use, Small Business or Enterprise Plan?
    In Small Business Plan, every user who need to access Team Site will be put into Tenant_users group by default. If the users haven't been deleted from Tenant_users group, they will also be able to access Team Site even they are deleted from Owners group.
    In this situation you experiencing, you may re-create the Team site. Please refer to the links below:
    For Small Business : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2547833
    For Enterprise : http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-online-enterprise-help/create-or-delete-a-site-collection-HA102476190.aspx?CTT=1

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Hi Grace,

Thanks for the reply.

I am using Office 365 Small Business.  I can see how to re-create the site from the link above.  The problem now is how do I delete the old Team Site.  I tried the following:

contoso.com/.../deleteweb.aspx.

I used my domain name instead of contoso.com however I get the same error as described above when I attempt to delete the original team site.  I dont have permission to delete the site it would appear.  Can you help with this?

Thanks you,

Larry

• Hi Larry,
    Please take the following steps to delete Team site:
    1. Log on the Office 365 Admin Home Page portal.microsoftonline.com with administrator account user name and password.
    2. Click Team Site on the top of the Admin Home Page.
    3. Click Site Actions-> Site Settings->Site Collection Administrator, and the click Go to top level site settings.

4. Click Site Actions->Delete this site.

5. input in browser: http://yourdomain.sharepoint.com/teamsite/_layouts/deleteweb.aspx

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Hi Grace,

I am unable to access the team page from any level.  Pressing "Team Site" at the top of the portal home page (with an Admin user logged in) gives me the error.  No matter what team site access I try, I get rejected.  I get rejected logging in from my website, I get rejected trying to access the page settings, I get rejected trying to open a document from the portal home page, etc.  100% locked out.  Is there any way Microsoft can set the permission back to default for the page?

Larry

• Hi Larry,

Do you use the original administrator account to sign in Team site?
    If you couldn't logon to Team site, please try to re-assign the license in Microsoft Online Portal to see if it works.
    1. Logon to Microsoft Online Portal (MOP) with original administrator account user name and password.
    2. Click users in the left ribbon.
    3. Select the original account user and click edit, remove the license ‘SharePoint Online’.
    4. Sign out MOP, wait at least 5 minutes and sign in again.
    5. re-assign the license to this user.

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Access Denied Image.jpg

Hi Grace,

I had totally deleted the original user prior to running into this trouble.  After initially setting up Office 365 SM, I got my personal domain name in place.  I got a real user in place.  Then I deleted the original user not thinking I would need to use that account.  I tried recreating the original user on the onmicrosoft.com domain but I still get the error.  The image below shows me signed in with what I believe to be the same user name as the original user.  Once again, this all happened when I deleted teh OWNER permission from the team site in an attempt to limit acces to files to certain users.

Thanks,

Larry

• Hi Larry,

I understand you have deleted the original user account in MOP and created a new user with the same user name of original account? Is it right?
    If that so, you might need to manually grant permission to this user in SharePoint Online otherwise the new account will not have the permission to access Team Site as you're experiencing. Because the new same user name account is not the original account. It has not the permission of site collection administrator.

In additional, would you tell me whether you have granted ‘full control’ or ‘site collection administrator’ permission to another users in SharePoint Online before deleting the original account?
    If not, you will not be able to grant permission. Based on the situation that you are in an evaluation period, I suggest you apply for a new trial Office 365 account.

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Grace,

This is Larry under a different login.  In answer to your questions:

1) Yes I deleted the original user and created a new user with what I think to be the same credentials.

2) The only permission settings I have access to is to allow a user to have administrator rights.  I only have one user on the accout and the user has administrator rights.  That is the user I am using to type this - the one I tried to recreate as the original

3) I tried to set up a new account.  However, this account, the one I am using to communicate with you on, the same one that I am locked out of Team site on, has a lock on my domain.  So I can not add my personal domain to the new account thus renderign useless.  I posted a Service Request but I have no idea if this will get responded to.  Here is the text of the my Service Request:

I have had a myriad of problems following an attempt to change permissions on the team site. Effectively, I locked myself out of the team site. After much up and back on the forum, it was suggested by Grace Shi of microsoft that I create a new office 365 account since I was still on trial. While this was not the ideal solution, I attempted to do so. After creating a new account, I attempted to set up my own domain - highpointent.com. Since this domain was in use on this account from which I am posting, I get the error message when trying to setup the the same domain on the new account telling my that the domain could not be verified becaue it was in use. So, I set off to remove the domain from this account. I removed all users from the domain. I made sure the domain was not used in any group names etc. After all that am not given the option to remove the domain under the domain administration page. So, now I have lost everything I had working on this account and cannot setup the new account to work with my domain. Ideally I need to be able to delete the highpointent.com domain from this account or completely delete this account. Please help...

So what I seem to need now is to be able to delete my domain name for the origianl account as I desribe above or even better delete the entire orignal account so I can get a fresh start.  To be honest, I am somehat surprised that one can find themselves in so much trouble.  If the original user was not suposed to be deleted, why in the name of all that is gracious is the original user allowed to be deleted?  I grow frustrated.

Thanks,

Larry

• Hello Larry,

I have checked your Service Request and found it has been closed.

Is everything working properly now?

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Yes.  I started a new account.  I called Microsoft support to figure out how to release my domain name so I could assign it to the new account.

But now I have a new problem.  The forum seems to remember the email address and the display name of my past user Larry H.  So, I can't use the email address from this past user for my new forum user on my new account.  Is there anyway of deleting this old user from the forum so my email address frees back up again for use on my new account forum?

Thanks,

Larry

• Hello Larry,
    I'm glad to hear the domain has been removed successfully.
    For the new problem:
    Because community display name must be unique, so to achieve your requirement, it’s needed to change the previous account’s display name to another one, and then change the new accounts’ display name to the previous one. Please change it by following these steps:
    1. Sign in to the forum with the previous account, then Click ‘Settings’ button at the top right corner of the page, under the display name.
    2. Change the display name to another name and click save.
    3. Sign out and re-sign in with the new account, click ‘settings’ and change the display name to the previous one.

In addition, if the previous email address is the one with domain .onmicrosoft.com, it will lose effect with the old Office 365 account. So I would suggest you use the new email address with the previous display name.

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Thanks Grace but I can't follow your steps.  The problem is that the user that I would need to sign in as no longer exists in Office 365.  I needed to delete the user to from the original 365 account so I could delete the domain from the original account so I could create my new 365 account and allow it is use my domain.  So, I have no way to sign into the forum with the user from the original account that has the display name and email address that I want to use for the user on my new account.  In otehr words, when I deleted the user from the original 365 account, the user did not get deleted from the forum...and probably never will I would guess.  

Thanks,

Larry

• Hi Larry,

I have tested it in my side. It seems that you are right.
    It's not available to change the current display name to the previous one. We have to use another display name to sign in the forum.
    You may send the feedback about your concern by the following link:
    http://g.microsoftonline.com/0BX11EN/135
    Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Grace Shi

• Hi,

I happen to encounter the same problem and am sourcing for an answer. Was reading through this thread and realise that the answer provided does not aid me.

Problem:

All users have access to team site. I've created a team site, let's say it's "test".

Therefore it will look like Team Site -> Test.

What happen was I'm trying out the access and since I'm the owner of "test", i thought it will be alright for me to remove the whole list of users(which i'm wrong).

I'm now able to access Team Site but not Test. I've sent request for access, which the email was sent to me... but I'm not able to access even when I've clicked on the hyperlink to allow access.

Sadly, i'm not able to re-create the entire Team Site as there're other sites created already. I'm trying to delete "test" but i'm not able to.

Any advise?

Thanks

• Did you try to re-connect the mailbox?

community.office365.com/.../66572.aspx

How about creating a similar user all the same configurations, then add a 1 to the SMTP name .. then after an hour edit the user with original name and see if you have access again to the site. consider the fact that you probably will end up with problems with lync online but that something Microsoft support can resolve.