No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Public facing website domain redirect

• 3 Followers
  • 4 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered
Hi, I have a public facing site at the default url mydomain-web.sharepoint.com My domain is registered by namecheap.com which offers cname, url frame and url redirect. What is the way to map the public facing site to the main domain www.mydomain.com and show the visitor only the main domain in the browser address bar? Url redirects change everything to the target address. Url frames create a tunnel with some disadvantages. Could cname be used to achieve that? Thanks!
  • Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Ping mydomain-web.sharepoint.com to get the ip address and add it as an A record with the host set to @ and a CNAME of @ with the host set to www. 
    webbrewers | Easy to use sites | Low/no cost hosting
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
  • Thanks very much but I can't get it working:

1. Namecheap tells me @ for a cname is not valid. What is that record doing anyway? Does it give office 365 access to the source address of the visitor? Does it need special characters like / or = ?

2. The result of the A record alone is a 400-bad request.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks very much!

• Not Ranked
  • Assuming you're using namecheap's nameservers:

The CNAME makes sure that entries with www find the site. Ask namecheap what the host should be in their system for that.

A 400 error suggests you may have the ip address wrong or formed badly.

webbrewers | Easy to use sites | Low/no cost hosting
    • Top 10 Contributor
  • Thanks for the help, but finally I found the right article. And it works with a cname only. I wouldn't say that the navigation and help for office 365 are especially user friendly and easy to find.

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../jj128104.aspx

Thanks again mchv2.0

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)