No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

The document could not be opened for editing. A Microsoft SharePoint Foundation compatible application could not be found to edit the document

This question is answered This question is answered
We have a doc library with two PPTX files.  Both files seem to be fine in that if I download a copy they open successfully in PowerPoint 2010.  I have only PowerPoint 2010 installed on my computer.  When I select to edit the documents using PowerPoint from SharePoint, I get the message "The document could not be opened for editing. A Microsoft SharePoint Foundation compatible application could not be found to edit the document".  One of our other users has both 2010 and 2003 installed.  Up until yesterday the documents opened for her in 2010.  Now when she selects "edit using PowerPoint" the document opens in 2003.  How do we set the document so that it opens in 2010?
Verified Answer
  • Hi Ella,

If I select Edit in Browser, the document opens correctly.  If I save a copy of the document on my local drive, I can open it without a problem.  If I select Edit using Microsoft PowerPoint, I get the error messages and Word attempts to open the documents.  It makes no difference with I check the document out first, or even if the document is in a library that does not enforce check-in/check-out.

However, I have now solved the problem.  I had already removed and reinstalled Office, without success.  Last night however, I uninstalled every trace of every earlier version of Office (e.g. the Activation program for Office 2007 was still installed), uninstalled Office 2010 and removed every Office folder (Office 14, Office 12 etc.).  I then reinstalled Office 2010 and I can now open PowerPoint documents from SharePoint.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Phil

All Replies
  • Hi Phil,

Thanks for your posting.

As far as I know, we cannot configure if open a document in PowerPoint 2010 or in 2003. Your user’s situation may root in her previous editing document in PowerPoint 2003. You can have a try to create another PowerPoint 2010 document and test if you can open it in 2010 when clicking “edit using PowerPoint”.

You mentioned that you encountered with errors when you try to edit an Office document in a document library. First I suggest you to perform the steps outlined in this KB Article:

If it doesn’t help, please enable Add Ons in your Internet Explorer:
    1.Go to Tools in IE, click Internet Options
    2.Click Programs at the top
    3.Click “Manage add-ons” near the bottom
    4.Click Publisher, then you can see all of Microsoft Corporation together
    5.Scroll to SharePoint names (May be one or several)
    6.Make sure they are all enabled by clicking on the name; the Enable button is towards the bottom.
    7.Then click OK and OK and restart IE

If your issue still persists, please catch a screenshot of the error message and post it here.

Thanks,
    Ella Huang
  • Hi Phil,

I’d like to follow the issue you posted previously. Have you resolved your issue?

I will keep monitoring your case for several days. Thus if there are any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me here. It’s my honor to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Ella Huang
  • Hi Ella, thanks for your response.  I checked all SharePoint add-ins and they were all already enabled.

• Hi Phil,

Thanks for your update.

Do you mean you have enabled Adds On in your IE, but the issue still persists?

First I’d like to confirm are you using x64 bit version of IE? If so, the issue may be resolved by changing to use x32 bit version.

If not, please try to enable SharePoint Support features by going to Control Panel => Programs and features => go to the office installation and click Change => then change the following feature SharePoint Support features to Run from my computer.
    Once this has been done, please Restart the computer.
    Then go to control panel again and run a Repair on the office installation.
    Restart the computer to see if it works.

Thanks,
    Ella Huang
  • HI Ella, I'm running 32-bit IE on 32-bit W7.  SharePoint Support features are set to run from my computer. Still no joy.  BTW the problem exists in IE, Firefox and Chrome.

• Hi Phil,

Did the issue happen no matter you choose to edit via Open in PowerPoint or Edit in Browser?

If both of them cannot work, would you please try a workaround as followings?
    1.In the document library on the Documents tab, point to the document that you want to edit, click Check Out.
    2.Click the down arrow, and then click Edit in PowerPoint.

Thanks,
    Ella Huang

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hi Ella,

If I select Edit in Browser, the document opens correctly.  If I save a copy of the document on my local drive, I can open it without a problem.  If I select Edit using Microsoft PowerPoint, I get the error messages and Word attempts to open the documents.  It makes no difference with I check the document out first, or even if the document is in a library that does not enforce check-in/check-out.

However, I have now solved the problem.  I had already removed and reinstalled Office, without success.  Last night however, I uninstalled every trace of every earlier version of Office (e.g. the Activation program for Office 2007 was still installed), uninstalled Office 2010 and removed every Office folder (Office 14, Office 12 etc.).  I then reinstalled Office 2010 and I can now open PowerPoint documents from SharePoint.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Phil

• Hi Phil,

Thanks for your instant update. I’m glad to hear you have found the solution. Also we highly appreciate your sharing. I’m sure other community members could benefit a lot from it. J

If you have any other questions about SharePoint Online, please feel free to post them here. I’m always here to offer assistance.

Thanks,
    Ella Huang

• Hi!

same issue here :(

my envirement: Office365 SharePoint + Windows 8 Pro x64 + Office 2013 x64 + the file path is 150 chars long

+ the SharePoint addons are enabled in IE + Office 2013 repair already done!.

Any news on this issue?

• with IE10 x86 / x64 same issue

• Hi Pawel,

Have you tried the troubleshooting steps I provided above? What about Phil’s information? If the issue still persists after doing these, we recommend you post a new thread in our forum. Since the cause of the issue happened on your end may root in other points, and a new thread centered on it could help resolve it more efficiently.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
    Ella Huang
  • All workarounds doesn't work!

• Maybe this link would be helpful?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/31c6d108-e94d-41a1-99a9-570b3880eb33/sharepoint-2010-and-office-2013-cant-edit-documents