No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Working with Linked Excel Workbooks and Worksheets in Sharepoint

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

We have Excel workbooks that contain links to other workbooks.  We also have worksheets within a workbook that are linked to other worksheets in the same workbook.

Is there a way to upload these documents to Sharepoint so that the links still work?

Thank you.

All Replies
  • Hi hrphawaii

As far as I know links and inserted object unable to work on web (Excel online).
    However, you can select “Edit in Microsoft Excel” to open and edit the Excel workbooks.

Thanks,
    Alex Du

1 out of 2 people found this post helpful.

• I did open it in Excel, but the links still didn't work.  The yellow bar says: "Links Disabled.  Links to external workbooks are not supported and have been disabled."  The next yellow bar says: "Unsupported Features.  This workbook may not display as intended. Details..."  Do I need to activate some kind of external links feature in Sharepoint, Office 365, Excel?

• No, it's not supported. IE, it doesn't work in web apps which are primarily intended for viewing and minor edits. 

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• I understand that it's not supported in the web app, but I am trying to open it from Sharepoint in Excel on my computer (not the web app).

• Sorry, didn't see your 2nd post, I only saw:

"Is there a way to upload these documents to Sharepoint so that the links still work?"

Same answer applies though probably because when you open in Excel from SP you're only querying the stored doc, not downloading it locally.

• Hi hrphawaii,

If you open the Excel files with Microsoft Excel on your computer, please take notice of below:
    1. If you insert the workbook as an Object (not a link), it’s available.
    2. If you insert the workbook as an Object with a link which is link to local files (Example: =Excel.Sheet.12|'C:\Users\xxxxx\Desktop\test03.xlsx'!'''') it’s available.
    3. If you insert the workbook as an Object with a link which is link to Sharepoint online library (Example: =Excel.Sheet.12|'https://xxxxx.sharepoint.com/MyDoc/test03.xlsx'!'''') it’s unavailable.

Thanks,
    Alex Du

• Hi hrphawaii,

How are the things going?
    In addition, do you need further assistance on the issue?

Thanks
    Alex Du