No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

DDE Error for SharePoint WorkSpaces

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi All, 

We have SharePoint Online (P1) on an office 365 licence (E1). 

Our users (me included) are having the following error when trying to access documents through workspace 

Documents can still be accessed through sharepoint directly. This error just started out of the blue, no major changes have occurred in the lead up to this. 

Having researched the problem im finding that it is to do with the path file name length. 

Any help would be really appreciated. 

Kind Regards, 

Hayden 

Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Hi

I think this KB will help you:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325573

http://sharepointknowledgebase.blogspot.com/2011/05/dde-error-has-occurred-and-description.html

MG Guardian

• Hi There,

Thanks for your reply,

I had found this answer earlier however I am still not sure if it is causing the problem unless the file path includes web application>site collection>site>folder>subfolder>file

Would be interested to hear if all of the above does constitute the file path name.  

In the KB it refers to office 2007, we are suing office 2010 plus if it makes a difference.

TIA

Hayden

• Hayden,

You can also check if the total length of the path of this Office file name has exceed 259 characters.

If so, rename it to shorter name as suggestd in the KB article and see if any improvement even though you are using Office 2010.

• Hi Hayden,

How are things going? Is there any update on the status of this issue?

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Thanks for all the post and support,

We have sported the issue today.

The file path name does include the site name as well as all documents & folders. We have shortened the site name and some of the folders underneath which made a difference.

ALTHOUGH

From what I could find at no point did the file path exceed 259 characters. We have had a couple of other errors which I think could be related, specifically regarding throttling.  

Regards,

Hayden

• Hi Hayden,

Thanks for your reply and the detailed additional suggestion on how you were successfully in resolving this issue. I have marked your answer as an answer for this issue. This is so others may benefit from the suggested resolution.

Again, thanks for your time and efforts on this issue.

Best Regards,
    Grace Shi