No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Migrating sharepoint 2010 on-premises to SharePoint online

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi,

I have Sharepoint 2010 sp1 on-premise .It uses FBA authentication and authentication information is stored in Custom sql server aspnet database .

Now i want to Move on-premise Sharepoint server to Office 365 sharepoint online.

I don't see any option to import sql database or some otherway to migrate FBA users db.

Can anyone provide or suggest steps.

Verified Answer
  • Hello

you can't import directly your user accounts from SQL to Office 365 for use with SharePoint online

There only 2 options to create/manage user accounts in Office 365:

* directory synchronization : to sync your local AD with Office 365; all account management is done through AD

* office 365 user management: user account creation and management is done through the Office 365 admin portal; you can do bulk import using CSV file

according to your context, I'll recommend to export your SQL DB in a CSV file and then import it through the admin portal

Easter eggs :D

to migrate your content from your local SharePoint onto SharePoint online, you need to use a third party tool, such as Quest or AvePoint

I made a post to migrate your content using AvePoint here blog.hametbenoit.info/.../Post.aspx

All Replies
  • Hello

you can't import directly your user accounts from SQL to Office 365 for use with SharePoint online

There only 2 options to create/manage user accounts in Office 365:

* directory synchronization : to sync your local AD with Office 365; all account management is done through AD

* office 365 user management: user account creation and management is done through the Office 365 admin portal; you can do bulk import using CSV file

according to your context, I'll recommend to export your SQL DB in a CSV file and then import it through the admin portal

Easter eggs :D

to migrate your content from your local SharePoint onto SharePoint online, you need to use a third party tool, such as Quest or AvePoint

I made a post to migrate your content using AvePoint here blog.hametbenoit.info/.../Post.aspx

• Hi Deepak,

If you have any other concerns on this issue, please feel free to contact us.

@Benoit, thanks for your efforts.

Thanks,
    Allen Qiu
  • Hi Deepak,

I just want to let you know that we built a tool MetaVis Migrator for Office 365 that can copy on-premise SharePoint sites to Office 365 SharePoint. The tool can copy entire sites with sub-site hierarchies, content types, fields, lists, list views, documents, items with attachments, look and feel elements, permissions, groups and other objects. The tool preserves created / modified properties, all metadata and versions. It looks like Windows Explorer so it will be easy to learn. It does not require any server side installations so you can do everything using your computer or any other server. 

Free trial is available: http://www.metavistech.com . Feel free to contact us.

Good luck with your migration project,

Mark