No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

How to create and manage a public site with Office 365?

This question is answered This question is answered

To showcase my customers O365 features I just wanted to create a public facing web site with it.

But:

• Which site template to use (there is no "Public Web Site Template")?
  • How to setup the access rights (there is no predefined group "anonymous users")?

Is there any further documentation about this feature:

• Which package / license is required?
  • What are the limitations compared to SharePoint 2010 on-premise OOB publishing features?

Thanks, Frank

Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Hi Frank,

To create your public Website, you need to create a site collection and designate it as the public-facing site. A tenancy can contain only one Public Website site collection.

For step-by-step guidance on creating a public-facing Website, see the article Set up a public Website. This article explains how to create a public website with either the default domain or a custom domain name. It also explains how you can change the domain name for an existing public Website.

office.microsoft.com/.../HA102476205.aspx

To grant the access rights, please refer the article about managing users in a public-facing website.

office.microsoft.com/.../HA101862442.aspx

To get more information on SharePoint Online between Small Business and Enterprise, please refer to below website.

community.office365.com/.../default.aspx

Thanks,

Monica Tong

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Your right there is no acces group  "anonymous users". Therefor your anonymous users will not be able to for inctance add info into libraries.

• Hi Frank,

Does the reply answer your question?

Thanks,

Monica Tong

• Monica,

many thanks, generally yes. One very last question: With the P1 plan I've one site collection only. This site collection must be that one for publishing in case of P1? I also can use the collaboration features in that case? Thanks, Frank

• Hi Frank,

For P1 plan, the public site was created automatically when setting up your account. We couldn’t create a new one. However, we can edit the public website by logging in http://yourdomain.sharepoint.com/_layouts/settings.aspx with your username and password.

For collaboration features in P1 plan, you may refer to the below links:

1: Office 365 for small businesses part 2: Collaborating and Working on the Go:

community.office365.com/.../placeholder.aspx

2: Office 365 for small businesses part 3: Professional Websites and Collaboration

community.office365.com/.../office-365-for-small-businesses-part-3-professional-websites.aspx

I hope the above information address your concern.

Thanks,

Monica Tong

• Hi there

I hope someone can help me.  I’m new to this.  I have set up my public web site, but when I use a browser and the domain, I get the ‘kind of back end’ of 365 popping up.  When I go into it and ‘edit public web site’ I see the site I want to see.  Why is this not popping up when accessing it externally? www.thekapiticompany.com

Hoping someone who knows much more than me can help!

Chris

• Hi Chris,

When accessing the website address you provided, I found that it can be accessed properly. I suggest accessing it again now. The causes are different from the configuration. If the issue persists, to better follow up the issue, I suggest posting a new question in the forum with the detailed problem description and error message.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong