No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Your Client does not Support opening this list with Windows Explorer

This question is answered This question is answered

I am receiving the following error message on many of our Windows XP machines when users are in SharePoint and click on Library Tools > Library > Open with Explorer. 

"Your Client does not Support opening this list with Windows Explorer"

I have researched and followed the proposed fixes to no success and this is creating a major problem for our organization: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2629108

I am also unable to map SharePoint as a network location, but I suspect it is the same issue at work

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Verified Answer
  • Hi Ben Greenberg,

This is Jonis from Microsoft SharePoint Online Support.

It is important to verify that your Windows XP clients have the correct service packs applied and are using an internet browser that is fully compatible with SharePoint Online.  The following table details those requirements for XP and SharePoint Online:

To resolve the “Your client does not support opening this list with Windows Explorer” issue, I recommend that your update and configure your computers for use with Office 365:

For Microsoft Office 365 for Professionals and Small Business

For Microsoft Office 365 for Enterprises 

If that does not answer your question please let me know as I will continue to monitor this thread for a few days and will reply to any additional posts or questions.

All Replies
  • Hi Ben Greenberg,

With a Windows XP client, when attempting to map a drive letter to a SharePoint Online site or use the Open with Explorer feature, I recommend the following configuration article: kb2616712

While the next link is for SharePoint services 3.0, it has value in XP and Internet Explorer environments: kb841215

If that does not answer your question please let me know as I will continue to monitor this thread for a few days and will reply to any additional posts or questions.

• The article the op linked to has the same suggestions, so I assume he's already done all that. After 18 months of reported problems with this, I would have expected it to be fixed. I always get this error with a new domain but one thing that has worked for me using XP is to include the www when entering the url in "add a network place". Once the connection is set up, it seems to work okay. 
  • I have tried all the suggestions and still, I get the error message when I click "open with Explorer" in SharePoint I still get the error message "Your client does not support opening this list with Windows Explorer."  Now, on some of our Windows 7 machines, it DOES work sometimes but on ALL of our Windows XP machines it NEVER works.  I'm guessing if it did work we could also map a network drive, but until we can "open with Explorer" to establish a connection, the other functionality such as mapping a Network Place won't work.

Maybe this angle will help the diagnosis.  On our Windows XP machines in SharePoint, I can client on an Excel file in an Document Library, then client "open in Excel" and the file will open in Excel.  HOWEVER, when I click Save, it won't recognize the location on the SharePoint server and rather it defaults to Save As and takes me to "My Documents."  On our Windows 7 machines, when I click Save it syncs/uploads changes to the server, or if I client Save As it will take me to the location on the SharePoint server.

I think this is part of the same problem, such that on our Windows XP machines, it does not link up with the SharePoint file system...  

Thoughts anyone?  Thank you so much!

• The one thing we're assuming here is you have a compatible version of Office. Open with Explorer needs 2007 or 2010.
  • Yep, we are using 2007 Professional.

• Hi Ben Greenberg,

It is important to verify that your Windows XP clients have the correct service packs applied and are using an internet browser that is fully compatible with SharePoint Online.  The following table details those requirements for XP and SharePoint Online:

To resolve the “Your client does not support opening this list with Windows Explorer” issue, I recommend that your update and configure your computers for use with Office 365:

For Microsoft Office 365 for Professionals and Small Business

For Microsoft Office 365 for Enterprises 

• I'm having the same problem, and my IT guy went into run/services/web client. you hit stop; then run again and it seems to fix the problem. i have to do this 1x every couple of days, but still looking for a PERMANENT solution. i am running all the most recent programs/updates, etc..  so i would also appreciate a PERMANENT solution about this. Thanks.

• Any additional information from Microsoft on this issue?  I have been dealing with this issue for 9 months since moving to Office 365 from BPOS.  I have tried all of the KBs with limited success.  It is not very user friendly for employees to have to go and restart the WebClient service multiple times to get mapped drives to SharePoint working.

• The underlying problem is AUTHENTICATION. 365 isn't a true cloud solution and is still dependent on desktop software and the os in use. So since it isn't really compatible with XP, all that can be offered are tweaks and resets  - none of which are a permanent solution. The only permanent solution is to use a different service that is "os neutral" and works properly with XP. 
  • Is there a permanent solution for Windows 7?

• There certainly should be but I've seen others have the same problem with W7 so I'm thinking the flawed authentication system in use affects more than just XP. It may be too big a problem to fix.
  • We have a similar problem we moved from BPOS to Office365 and sharepoint in the cloud too a few months ago, Im not sure about the network drives but i do know that on our Win7 Clients if the users were using the 64bit version of ANY version of IE explorer view didnt work using the 32bit version seemed to work fine.

remember the icon for Internet explorer thats pinned to the taskbar at the bottom usually is the 64bit version NOT the 32. I had to goto START --> ALL PROGRAMS and run the Internet Explorer from there on users machines to fix the explorer view issue.

Im having the same issues with mapping network drives too however following the KB article that Jonis provided seems to fix the problem for me for a while but the problem came back, couldnt connect to the sharepoint drive after a reboot a few days later.  

• Hi QUE,

While assisting another SharePoint Online customer with a similar issue, I setup a test environment utilizing my SharePoint Online tenant, a Windows 7 pc and a 32-bit version of Internet Explorer 9 (IE9).  I was successful in re-creating their Open with Explorer trust issue with IE9.  The screen shot below, displays the associated error message that I received:

I deployed the following solution to resolve the Open with Explorer error message on my 32-bit version of Internet Explorer 9:

1)      From Internet Explorer select Tools  -> Internet Options -> Security tab

2)      Select Local internet -> Sites -> Advanced ->

3)      Under Add this website to the zone: type https://*.microsoftonline.com -> Add

Once the above site was added, the command Open with Explorer worked without error.  While I have not tested this, the above solution should work with IE8 and IE7.

If that does not resolve your authentication, mapped drive and Open with Explorer questions, let me know as I will continue to monitor this thread and will reply to any additional posts or questions.