No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Advice moving from SBS 2003 R2

• 2 Followers
  • 4 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

I will be moving one of my clients from SBS 2003 to Office 365.

There are 30 users, on the SBS server they Each have their own private folder and there is also a shared foled everyone can read and write to.

I am going to move the shared docs to the team site but I am not sure where I should put the users private folders, would it be better for them to have their  own my-site and put the folder there or put the

folder on the team site with access permissions?

I think the my-site gives each user 1gb so If it put the folder on the team site I will not have enough space.

many thanks in advance

Tony

• Post Points: 35
Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Hello Tony,

This is Cody with Microsoft SharePoint Online Support. Thank you for your post about moving users' private folders to Office 365.

You have two options in this instance for the functionality you want:

You can upload each user's private folder to the main Team Site and then set unique permissions to allow only them and site collection administrators to see the folder. Unique permissions would have to be set for each folder (which could be an actual folder inside a document library, or an entirely new document library).

You can upload the private folders to each user's My Site. All licensed users on Enterprise plans get their own My Site. If you are worried about storage limits, Enterprise plans allow you to update the storage quota for any site collection through the Administration Center "Manage Site Collections" page. The My Site is its own site collection, so the storage quota limit could be increased.

The choice really depends on whether you want the users to need to go to their My Site to view their personal data, or have the folder available through the main Team Site for them.

I hope this answers your question. Have a great weekend!

Best Regards,

Cody Spears

Microsoft SharePoint Online Support

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
  • Hi Cody

Thank you very much for your reply, I will consider the options. Do you have the link to the doc that give the info about how much default storage you get with sharepoint and mysite etc, i can find it.

Thanks

Tony

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Tony,

This is Justin with Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support.

Thanks for your interest in the product. You can find the details you seek on page 15 of the Microsoft SharePoint Online for Enterprises Service Description document located at link below. Also, check out the second link for a breakdown of features with each subscription. Let us know if you have any other questions.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13602

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/all-plans.aspx#fbid=oUUJLIZyZ-E

Thanks,

Justin Ronan
    Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support

• Top 100 Contributor
  • Hi Justin

Thank you very much for the info.

Tony

• Not Ranked