No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

How do you change a protected CNAME record?

This question is not answered This question is not answered

When we setup our MS Office365 account it was a new domain so we had the web site set up here.  We now want to move WWW to a new server, since the web product offered in Office365 does not provide the funcationality we need.

We'd like our Sharepoint server to be sharepoint.domain.com and microsoft to release WWW to us to reassign.

How do we make that happen?

Please Advise,

Andy

All Replies
  • Hello AParker,

This is Jason Burnside from Microsoft Office365 SharePoint Support.

Thanks for coming to the communities with your concerns about using WWW for a new server.

If you are not going to be using your vanity domain for your public-facing website, you should be able to delete the domain from Office 365 and make any changes you need at your domain registrar.

I will continue to monitor this thread if you have any additional questions.

• Jason,

Thanks for responding.  But what I'd really like to do is have the team site changed to sharepoint.domain.com and let me manage the WWW sub-domain name.  I'd like to keep my domain name and DNS management here.

Is that possible?

Andy

• Hello AParker,

If you a Professional and Small Business account (P1 account), the Public-facing website is the top-level of the site collection and the team site is a sub-site so the domain will be the same for both. We are not able to have a domain for the website and a separate domain for the team site. The subdomain will be www for a P1 account when using a vanity domain.

I will continue to monitor this thread for further posts or questions.

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hello AParker,

Did you have any further questions?

I will continue to monitor this thread for further posts or questions.

• Jason,

Thanks for the help.  A more complete answer is:

1. Get a new DNS register, I used ZoneEdit

2. Copy all of the DNS entries at MS Office365 to your new register

3. Change the name server to point to your new DNS register

4. Wait for the change to propogate

5. Log back onto MS Office365 and delete the vanity domain on manage your DNS page

You can still use exchange, lync and your team site.

Andy