No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Transition Has Ruined My Google Presence

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi

I transitioned my office Live website about 3 weeks ago now and followed all the advice given regarding re directing pages and site maps. I have now noticed that gradually my web pages have litrally dissapeared out of google search and my traffic is being lost.

I really can't believe that this is happening as my business is facing ruin.

Please can someone help or does anyone know what is going on?

And Microsoft Office 365, can you at least try to do something about this as you are the cause!!!!!!!

Regards

Silv

Verified Answer
  • Hello Silv,

This is Jason Burnside from Microsoft Office365 SharePoint Support.

Thanks for coming to the communities with your concerns about your website being found in the search engines.

Unfortunately, it may take time for your website to be crawled and to be found by the search engines. I apologize that there is nothing that we are able to do on our end to speed it up however other customers may have some ideas that you may find helpful. You may want to look at the search engine webmaster information through a search engine to see what helps your website to be found and boosts the rankings quicker.

I will continue to monitor this thread if you have any additional questions.

1 out of 2 people found this post helpful.

All Replies
  • Hello Silv,

This is Jason Burnside from Microsoft Office365 SharePoint Support.

Thanks for coming to the communities with your concerns about your website being found in the search engines.

Unfortunately, it may take time for your website to be crawled and to be found by the search engines. I apologize that there is nothing that we are able to do on our end to speed it up however other customers may have some ideas that you may find helpful. You may want to look at the search engine webmaster information through a search engine to see what helps your website to be found and boosts the rankings quicker.

1 out of 2 people found this post helpful.

• Hello Silv,

Did you have any further questions?

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hi Take a look at www.solutionsforoffice365.com/.../Google_Webmaster_Tools.aspx or indeed the whole section www.solutionsforoffice365.com/.../solutions.aspx which offers some work arounds

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Google Webmaster tools are not supported by O365

• I am facing the same problems as SILV and I'm really astonished that MICROSOFT can't find a solution for this problem.

When I think that I'm a Microsoft user since more than 20 years, I'm really UPSET !!!!

• Sorry Jason but when you say" Unfortunately, it may take time for your website to be crawled and to be found by the search engines. I apologize that there is nothing that we are able to do on our end to speed it up however other customers may have some ideas that you may find helpful" I am really disappointed. How can customers have better solutions than MICROSOFT CORPORTAION????? . This means that when Microsoft informed the OLSB users of the transition they just omitted to tell  that the new adresses would change and that people would loose their SE rankings, and even their jobs !!!!!! Is this what it means ????

• OZZY75,

They don't care, Office 365 is NOT a good place to host a money making Business website. It is not designed for that.  

It is sad that we didn't get all the facts and it is sad that we past OLSB Owners are going to have to move again, for soon the 6 month trial will expire and like I said before, This is not a good place to host a Business website that was making a profit.  

Oh, the Webmaster tools do work on O365 websites, they may not be technically supported but they do work.  

See: Search Engine Verification 

and as you mentioned, you already performed: A workaround for the Page addresses

• MSFT could easily have come up with a server side redirection option, but didn't so the best you can do to minimize the impact of the address changes is to redirect your old addresses to the new ones.

How to redirect your OLSB urls to your new pages and keep the SEO gods happy 

3rd article down. 

As  for search results, within a couple of weeks of moving some content from OLSB to 365, searches for "office  live  365 code generator" were returning the new urls not the old on the first page. I didn't redirect or do anything special..

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=office++live++365+code+generator&oq=office++live++365+code+generator&gs_l=serp.3...27620.27620.0.27877.1.1.0.0.0.0.82.82.1.1.0.edvst..0.0.pMmv9KFGC7w

Now when I look the old pages are nowhere to be found

• MSFT could easily have offered a server side redirection option but didn't so the best you can do to minimize the impact of the url changes is redirect your old pages to the new:

How to redirect your OLSB urls to your new pages and keep the SEO gods happy

3rd article down

As for search rankings, within a few weeks of moving some content from OLSB to 365, searches for "office live 365 code generator" were returning the 365 page on the first page of results. Now when I look the OL page is nowhere to be found.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&site=&source=hp&q=office++live++365+code+generator&oq=office++live++365+code+generator&gs_l=hp.12...4000.15094.0.15782.2.2.0.0.0.0.172.313.0j2.2.0...0.0.KSv5C4lRYmo

• This problem (add /pages/ to our urls)  has been devastating to our business. We are a small business and live and die by cash flow. We lost our SEO ranking, our PPC adds lead to pages that no longer existed and external links to our website are broken. Our sales took a sudden dip and we couldn't figure out why until one our our partners told the links to our site we broken. We contacted Microsoft support to help fix the problem but they have no realistic resolution (that won't set us back again) and don't understand their impact there "little" change has our businesses like ours.

We are considering legal action against Microsoft and are reaching out to other businesses that have suffered from this problem.