No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Opening pdfs from a list in SharePoint

This question is answered This question is answered

After 5 hours, many phone calls, and multiple emails with Office 365 technical support I just received word that there is no way to open .pdfs from a list in SharePoint without first saving them. I am reaching out to the forum to confirm that this is accuarte.

The issues:

I CAN open .pdfs in Mozilla from a list in SharePoint 2010

I CAN NOT open .pdfs in a list form IE9 SharePoint 2010

If this issue can not be resolved I will have to rethink how our company uses SP, this will prompt a total redesign of our systems. This is a major security issue as we put things in the clouds for users to view and don't want them saving directly to their computers.

Any help or confirmation on this would be appreciated.

Verified Answer
  • Hi SLong123,

This is Jonis from Microsoft SharePoint Online Support.

We are currently involved in a rollout that will allow (.pdf) files, stored in a SharePoint Online library, to be opened directly in Adobe Reader without first being downloaded to the desktop.  It is important to note that the open (.pdf) in browser portion of the Service Update 2 (SU2) roll out is for libraries not lists.  This update should be complete by the end of May 2012.  During the Service Update 2 (SU2) roll out, you will need to continue downloading (.pdf) files stored in SharePoint Online libraries to open and view (.pdf) files.

There is also a third party solution for opening (.pdf) files in browser, to review the post select PDF Solution: Here's How to Display in the Browser .

One of the requirements of SU2, to view a (.pdf) file directly from a SharePoint Online site, is to upgrade Adobe Reader to version 10.1.2.  For additional information, review the following blog post concerning SharePoint Online Service Updates, by clicking here.

If that does not answer your question please let me know as I will continue to monitor this thread for any additional posts or questions.

• Markus May I can tell you that the third party solution joshuabooker.com/.../PDF-CompleteSolution.aspx did work for me. Granted the time to implment is a little tasking and we all wish that Microsoft would fix this but it does at least work.

All Replies
  • Hi SLong123,

This is Jonis from Microsoft SharePoint Online Support.

We are currently involved in a rollout that will allow (.pdf) files, stored in a SharePoint Online library, to be opened directly in Adobe Reader without first being downloaded to the desktop.  It is important to note that the open (.pdf) in browser portion of the Service Update 2 (SU2) roll out is for libraries not lists.  This update should be complete by the end of May 2012.  During the Service Update 2 (SU2) roll out, you will need to continue downloading (.pdf) files stored in SharePoint Online libraries to open and view (.pdf) files.

There is also a third party solution for opening (.pdf) files in browser, to review the post select PDF Solution: Here's How to Display in the Browser .

One of the requirements of SU2, to view a (.pdf) file directly from a SharePoint Online site, is to upgrade Adobe Reader to version 10.1.2.  For additional information, review the following blog post concerning SharePoint Online Service Updates, by clicking here.

If that does not answer your question please let me know as I will continue to monitor this thread for any additional posts or questions.

• Will there be a solution for list in the future? That is my main question.

• Also, if anyone could provide me with an explantion so I can better understand why this would work in Mozzilla and not IE. I can't wrap my head around that.

Thank you.

• From this, Jonis, am I right in assuming that this rollout will not help us to open pdf files in Adobe Acrobat 9.5.1, like we could in BPOS?

• This is baloney! We have PDF documents on a website that visitors should be able to view without having to save to their computer. Are you saying we need to tell every potential visitor that they need Adobe Reader 10.1.2 to view? That if they have an older version they can't view it? They could view it on the Microsoft website I had before - why not now? This "rollout" was supposed to be done by May -

Now its June 13 and still can't open PDFs. And I am using Adober Reader 10.1.3!!! Why is this so difficult?

• Markus May I can tell you that the third party solution joshuabooker.com/.../PDF-CompleteSolution.aspx did work for me. Granted the time to implment is a little tasking and we all wish that Microsoft would fix this but it does at least work.