No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Opening pdf files.

• 3 Followers
  • 6 Replies |
  • This post has 0 verified answers |
Not Answered This question is not answered
I have hyperlinked to a pdf document. But in the public site, when you click on the link, a pop-up asks if you want to save it. You don't have the option of saying no. It's either save it, or the link closes. When you click the link, I want the document to open. How do I accomplish that?
  • Post Points: 35
All Replies
  • Hello,

This is Justin with Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support.  Thanks for posting your question.

At this time, the ability to open PDF files in a new window is in the process of being changed to open in the client application.  This has not been implemented on all accounts yet and will be when completion of the next service pack is deployed.  For more information, see this link.  Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

If this is not acceptable, there are third party solutions available to accomplish opening directly.  Below I will include one such solution.  Please note this will be outside product support.

http://community.office365.com/en-us/w/officeapps/737.aspx

Thanks and Regards,

Justin Ronan
    Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support

• Top 100 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
  • Hi Justin, I have a client who is asking how to get PDFs to open directly from the Team Site even with the Adobe Reader client. I.e. she doesn't need them to open in the browser, she's happy to have them open in Reader, but she says her only option right now is to save them to her local drive and open from there.  When *I* do it I don't see the same behavior - I get the prompt to Check Out the document or just open it Read Only...I select Open Read Only and it opens in Adobe just fine.

Is that because I have a different SP-level in SharePoint Online than she does and that she'll eventually get caught up on the new SP and see the same behavior I do?  Or is there some setting I can change for her so that she can open PDFs from the Team Site without saving them to C: first?

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Ben,

To answer your question, you are correct.  Currently, there is no ETA for the completion of Service Update 2 as this will be different for each customer while seperate servers are updated.  The update will be deployed automatically and will require no interaction by you.  An email will be sent to the technical contact for the account when it will begin.  To check the technical contact email listed for the account, click the name of your company on the admin portal page (https://portal.microsoftonline.com/admin/default.aspx).

Thanks,

Justin Ronan
    Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support

• Top 100 Contributor
  • O.K., so it's likely that I have SU2 but she doesn't yet and that accounts for the different behavior in opening PDF files from the Team Site currently?

Thanks!

• Not Ranked
  • you can use this solution community.office365.com/.../737.aspx and configure each library that holds pdf files to open pdf in browser for any users. Don't forget to add the url to trusted site location in IE.

Ashraf Hossain
    MrOffice365.Com |Twitter|FB

• Not Ranked
  • If you have some troubles with opening pdf files make use http://www.pdf.repairtoolbox.com utility must assist you

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)