No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

directing two custom domains to same address

• 4 Followers
  • 7 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Hi,

I migrated from officelive to 365. I have two verified custom domains which in office live I was able to point both to the same website. One of them is pointing to the sharepoint address and is working fine. I don't seem to see how to direct  second one to the same website it on 365. 

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Hi All,

mch is correct. You will need to have Microsoft host one domain and the other will need to be parked with the domain registrar. The non-hosted domain will need to have a redirect or forwarding record set up so that if someone browses to www.domain1.com it will redirect or forward to www.domain.com.

I will continue to monitor this thread if anyone has additional questions.

Thanks,

Tim Muth

Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint SUpport

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • You'll need to change nameservers back and forward it from your domain host.
    webbrewers | Easy to use sites | Low/no cost hosting
    • Top 10 Contributor
  • Hello, we are having this issue also. We updated the nameservers to what Microsoft told us to (and each domain was a little different, but are you saying we should make the nameservers all the same?

• Not Ranked
  • No, leave the primary domain as is. 365 doesn't facilitate forwarding so for the secondary domain, park it at the domain registrar / host (ie use their nameservers). Then choose url forwarding and forward it to the primary domain. Traffic to it will be redirected to the your 365 site.   
    • Top 10 Contributor
  • Hi All,

mch is correct. You will need to have Microsoft host one domain and the other will need to be parked with the domain registrar. The non-hosted domain will need to have a redirect or forwarding record set up so that if someone browses to www.domain1.com it will redirect or forward to www.domain.com.

I will continue to monitor this thread if anyone has additional questions.

Thanks,

Tim Muth

Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint SUpport

• Top 50 Contributor
  • This method works fine....I have been using it for years. As a matter of fact I don't have an active custom domain right now at 0365, my domain is hosted with Hover.com and it URL forwards to my Sharepoint address. Melbourne IT provides this function as well.

You can take a look if you want.

linkvoicedata.com

• Not Ranked
  • Thanks for the answers. We are using Melbourne IT, so it sounds like I need to go back to Melbourne's website, activate the DNS, and then set up a redirect with Melbourne IT. Is this correct?

Does Microsoft have information on how to set up the redirect with Melbourne? I don't see it on their site. Thanks.

• Not Ranked
  • You got it. Melbourne should have instructions - usually you can choose forward, park or set nameservers.
    • Top 10 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)