No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Local folder sync

• How do I get my local folders to sync up to the team site when I add documents to them locally?  I added a folder a couple of days ago, and since then, I've put several documents in it locally, but they haven't been uploaded to my team site.  If I look at the folder on my team site, it just has one file on it.  I can press the "sync" key all day and night, but I get nowhere. 

Also, more generally: how in the heck is anyone with a large number of files supposed to migrate them to the cloud when the upload thingy gets choked up over anything more than 250 mb? 

• Hello Ethan,

This is Cody with Microsoft SharePoint Online Support. Thank you for your post.

Folders added to SharePoint Online are not automatically synced with the source folder from your local computer. Any files saved to the local computer will need to be uploaded to SharePoint Online.

You can show a SharePoint Online library on the local computer by mapping a network drive to the library, but please keep in mind that this would not be actually saving files on the local computer.

Also, uploading large amounts of data to SharePoint Online is best done in small chunks. Any single file over 250MB cannot be put on SharePoint Online. Uploading large folders with many folders inside of it can result in slower upload times. Network speeds, firewalls and security settings can also affect upload speeds.

Thank you for contacting Microsoft SharePoint Online Support. Have a great weekend!

Cody Spears

Microsoft SharePoint Online Support

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Ok, then what does "sync" mean?  When I hit the "sync" button on my sharepoint app, what am I actually doing?

How do I map a network drive to the online library, such that it is seen by applications that aren't part of the Office 365 suite?  In other words, how do I get, say, Adobe, to recognize an online Sharepoint library as a place where I can save things?

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hello Ethan42,       

This is Jason Burnside from Microsoft Office365 SharePoint Support.

You may use the Open with Explorer option in SharePoint or map a network drive to move your documents onto SharePoint from your local computer. You may drag and drop them into the correct library or folder within the library from the windows explorer.

To map a network drive to SharePoint, please follow these instructions:

1. Go to your site collection and use the “Open with Explorer” option (This may aid in you mapping a network drive to SharePoint from your local computer)
    2. Click the Start button on your local computer
    3. Choose Computer
    4. Click on Map a Network Drive
    5. Choose a Drive letter, add your site collection URL (Ex. http://domain.sharepoint.com)
    6. Click Finish

If you receive an error when you try to use the Open with Explorer option, please complete the following:

1. Close the browser
    2. Click on the start button
    3. Click “Run…”
    4. Type Services.msc, click enter
    5. Scroll down to WebClient
    6. Restart the WebClient
    7. Try the above “map the drive” instructions again

I will continue to monitor this thread for further posts or questions.

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hello Ethan42,

Did you have any further questions?

• Hi Jason,

I'm new to O365 and found your solution above.

Can I reopen this thread please. I followed your suggestions above and it worked well.

My problem is that the connection to the mapped network drive keeps getting lost. To have the connection in file explorer operable I have to login into sharepoint online (O365) and click 'open with explorer'. The mapped network drive link then starts to work, but I have the second instance of file explorer running by now anyway plus the browser session for accessing files.

I can then close down the second instance of file explorer and the browser and the links in the explorer session keeps working okay - even if I close explorer and reopen it.

So why doesn't the mapped network connection to sharepoint online automatically recover after say - an overnight reboot from windows update (when I have a fulltime internet connection).

Sometimes when I try the get around above I get an error message saying my client (explorer I assume) doesn't support the 'open in explorer' feature, and I go round in circles until it eventually works. Sometimes the webclient services restart helps sometimes it doesn't.

Thanks in advance.

bpdunc

• Hello Bpdunc,

Unfortunately, intermittent connectivity issues may cause the stopping of the WebClient which may cause issues with the mapped drive. The troubleshooting for Open with Explorer is now laid out in a KB Article which you may check out at the following link:

Open with Explorer

• Alternatively you can use a 3rd party connector (operates as windows service) to replicate your local file system to a SharePoint Online document library. See here for more:

www.layer2.de/.../file-system-sync-with-Office-365.aspx