No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Sharing a OneNote notebook in Sharepoint confusion

• This post has 4 Replies |
  • 4 Followers
  • I think I am missing something here and need to be set straight.

We have onenote 2010 notebooks in a library in sharepoint.  Anyone with contribute rights to the entire library can use those notebooks normally either via office web app or using the local onenote 2010 app when they get to it by opening the library.

However, if somebody with limited rights to the entire library but full control to a particular notebook and they open it by selecting edit in onenote from the drop down, it says "Files from other programs cannot be opened in onenote.  Select a onenote file."  If I open the library in explorer and send them a link in an email to the open notebook.onetoc2 file directly they can edit and sync the notebook just fine by clicking the link, it opens in the local onenote client.

However, I created a hyper-link in sharepoint to this same .onetoc2 file it opens in the local onenote app as read only.  This read only deal happens to all users, including myself, even with full control to both the notebook and the entire library when getting to the notebook via a hyperlink.

What am I missing here?  Is there a primer somewhere on how to store onenote data in sharepoint?

• Hi Bill Gilbert First Call,

This is Jonis from Microsoft SharePoint Online Support.

SharePoint Online is a great place to store your OneNote files and it sounds like you are making effect use of the collaboration aspects.  The limitation is that we do not support or recommend the synchronization of OneNote files stored on a SharePoint Online site.  OneNote works well when shared from a SharePoint Online for Office 365 site. You can host OneNote notebooks and share the information. What does not work reliability is the use of the OneNote synchronization tool to sync OneNote files directly to a SharePoint Online site. While I can understand the benefit of the OneNote sync tool, please be aware that the OneNote connector is not reliable when syncing with SharePoint Online.

Since you have developed a method that allows you to sync and edit your OneNote files, I recommend that you continue to use that methodology.

Concerning the hyperlink, does this hold true for Microsoft Office Documents?  Can you detail how you made the hyperlink, so I can reproduce it in my SharePoint Online environment?

If that does not answer your question please let me know as I will continue to monitor this thread for a few days and will reply to any additional posts or questions.

Jonis Estrem

Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• We are using sharepoint on office365 under an E3 plan, is that not a "SharePoint Online for Office 365 site"?

If I create a hyperlink to an excel file it works fine.  The links are created in a list.

• I am posting this to help other users.

Here, and in many other threads on this Forum, you will find Jonis Estrem using a cut-and-paste reply that is his standard reply to anyone who has a problem syncing OneNote with SharePoint.

I have done my best to inform him that the information he is providing is misleading and false, but he continues to cut-and-paste the following text without any supporting evidence or external links to back him up:

"SharePoint Online is a great place to store your OneNote files and it sounds like you are making effect use of the collaboration aspects.  The limitation is that we do not support or recommend the synchronization of OneNote files stored on a SharePoint Online site.  OneNote works well when shared from a SharePoint Online for Office 365 site. You can host OneNote notebooks and share the information. What does not work reliability is the use of the OneNote synchronization tool to sync OneNote files directly to a SharePoint Online site. While I can understand the benefit of the OneNote sync tool, please be aware that the OneNote connector is not reliable when syncing with SharePoint Online."

Jonis Estrem is the only person who belives this. Microsoft Office 365 actively promotes and supports syncing of OneNote with SharePoint. You can create a new notebook on your desktop or on SharePoint, and when it works, it works perfectly.

The information provided in this context by Jonis Estrem should be corrected by him.  Oherwise just ignore his comments and get informed help from other Microsoft support sources. That's what we did and we now have OneNote working perfectly with SharePoint as advertised and promoted by Microsoft.

• Dear all,

I am a teacher who is using sharepoint and onenote as a collaboration and learning tool in the classroom. My team and I have been exploring on how to sync and work in collaboration. As educators, we sometimes want control over documents which are shared to our students. May I know if there is any way which I can change the permission of a onenote workbook or section or  any MS document to a read only where other documents in the same shared libraries remain editable by my members of the site/library. I have tried the permission settings but it seem to affect all other documents as well. Thank you.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)