No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Print item from a list

• This post has 7 Replies |
  • 4 Followers
  • I have a single list item I wish to print. 

I open the item and print it, but it shows me the item with the list as it appears on the screen.  How can I print just the list item without the superfluous information?

• Hi Swader,

This is Jonis from Microsoft Online SharePoint Support.

There are a number of ways to resolve this, including creating list views.  The most efficient way to manipulate data on a list, in order to remove the superficial information and only print the select list item, is by exporting the list to Excel.  The following link details how to Export a SharePoint list to a spreadsheet.

If that does not answer your question please let me know as I will continue to monitor this thread for any additional posts or questions.

Jonis Estrem

Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support

• Thanks Jonis!

Actually I'm trying to re-create an ability which my users had with SharePoint Services 3.0.  With that older system, we could open an item full-screen and be able to print it.  We could even distinguish the frame so you didn't get the quick launch bar or the top header info on the print out as well.  Most often our users would simply print that to PDF.

I was hoping to be able to do that in this version as well.  I need an easy way for my users to print a single item; preferably as easy as selecting the item and clicking a print button.  

With the single item open, if we could have a single-click export to Word or Excel, it would probably be little bother to then print to PDF or a printer.

Is that something I could do with SharePoint Designer: customize the single item view to export to Word or Excel?

• Hi Swader,

This is Jonis from Microsoft Online SharePoint Support.

I recommend that you use the print command in Internet Explorer or open the workbook in Excel and use the print features there, as suggested in this article.

If you decide to develop a custom print solution in SharePoint Designer, be aware that Microsoft does not support custom development.  Microsoft allows custom development; we just ask that you support any custom solutions you create. 

If that does not answer your question please let me know as I will continue to monitor this thread for any additional posts or questions.

Jonis Estrem

Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support

• Thanks for your efforts.  As I mentioned before, we wish to print a single item, as it appears when you view a single item; without the background of the list.  It appears that functionality which existed in SharePoint Services 3.0 no longer exists in this new version.

Again thanks for your efforts, I will try to find some other way to meet my customers' needs.

• Hello Jonis, This is not really a friendly way to print al list item. It is to many work and costs time. Is it possible to print an item directly either to email or to OneNote (my version sents a lot of extra unclear data). Please advice. It would help me a lot.

Best Regards Menno v L.

• Go to advanced settings and select no for " Launch forms in a dialog? "(which is just an annoying default setting)

Open the list item (requires one field with link to item)

Use browser print tool

webbrewers | Easy to use sites | Low/no cost hosting

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Thnx a lot. Super tip.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)