No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

How to forward one domain to another ?

• This post has 7 Replies |
  • 2 Followers
  • Hi

I have multiple domains under my P1 account.  For example, abc.com and xyz.com .  I have set up my primary domain and public-facing website at www.xyz.com.   I would like it so that people who access http://www.abc.com get forwarded to http://www.xyz.com .    How can I do this?  It doesn't matter whether they see abc or xyz in the URL bar.

Thanks

rl

• Hello

you just have to create a DNS alias on your abc.com domain registrar which points to www.xyz.com

Benoit HAMET

Senior Solutions Architect

MVP Office 365 - MCITP Office 365 - Microsoft Community Contributor

Blog - Twitter

• Hi Rkflum,

This is Jonis from Microsoft Online SharePoint Support.

As Benoit Hamet pointed out, in SharePoint Online for Office 365, in order to redirect a second custom domain you will need to work with your registrar.  That way you can use your registrar’s redirection server can redirect abc.com to xyz.com.  Since registrars handle that type of request differently, I would recommend that you contact your registrar for instructions.

With SharePoint Online you are only allowed to have one custom domain as your public-facing website.  Microsoft does not provide the option to point a second custom domain at your public facing web site.

Please reply to this post with your results as I will continue to monitor this thread for a couple of days and will reply to any additional posts or questions.

Jonis Estrem

Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support

• hi Jonis, Benoit

Thanks for your replies.  I am using Godaddy as the registrar for both domains, but both of the domains' DNS are under my Office 365 account.  I'm afraid I have never been able to figure out DNS management :(    Should I be doing the redirection at Godaddy or under my Office365 admin panel?

Thanks!

rl

• I should also mention that we are receiving mails at both abc.com and xyz.com ,so obviously the redirection or forwarding is only applicable for our website.  Thanks !

• Hi Rkflum,

With SharePoint Online you are only allowed to have one custom domain as your public-facing website.  Microsoft does not provide the option to point a second custom domain at your public facing web site. 

I would like more information concerning the statement “both of the domains’ DNS are under my Office 365 account”.   While it is possible to register and verify multiple custom domains in SharePoint Online, you can only have one active custom domain at a time.

The recommended method to redirect abc.com to xyz.com is with the help of your registrar GoDaddy.com, as you will need to use the GoDaddy redirection servers.

Jonis Estrem

• hi,

Thanks.  I set up the redirection at Godaddy and now everything is working fine.  I am using Godaddy for redirection on abc.com , and Office365 for the website and nameservers on xyz.com .  

rl

• Hi Rkflum,

That sounds like the perfect setup of your two custom domains.  I am glad that everything worked out.

Best regards,

Jonis Estrem

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)