No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

need help setting default site-collection and/or getting web-design tool to load

This question is answered This question is answered
I have upgraded our SharePoint 2007 UI to SharePoint 2010. I cannot, however, get this site-collection to our default site-collection. It still goes to the new site-collection made for us during migration which doesn't have any of our documents, pictures, etc. I have logged into my admin site, clicked on manage site collections, clicked on the checkbox next to the site i want to make our default but the settings button on the ribbon is greyed out. I am the main admin for our site and do not know why I would not have permission, or how to get permission to do this. I would not mind using the new site if I could get everything to transfer but cannot get the web-desing tool to load (if I tell it to load as 64-bit it says I have 32bit. If i download 32bit it says i have 64. I should have 64). Please help!
Verified Answer
  • For anyone who needs the information. I still don't know the answer to 1 and 2 but I found an answer to my 3rd question about transferring documents from one site to another that is VERY easy and doesn't cost a penny. Since this was resolved I just moved all our documents over to the "new" site and we don't use the "old" site.

To transfer documents:

1. go into your sharepoint workspace and click on "site actions" at the very top left of your screen. Select "Sync to SharePoint Workspace". If you are transferring documents from one sharepoint site to another do this for both sites. This also works if you are just looking for an easy and fast way to upload documents and/or move documents around.

2. once it has synced a window will pop up  that has all your folders and documents. Open the other site workspace and just drag the folders and/or documents whereever you want them. I advise to limit the transfer to 50 documents or less because otherwise there is a bit of an overload. However, this is much simpler than going to the SharePoint online and downloading and then uploading to the new site or paying someone money to do it for you. This only took a couple of hours to transfer what took me 2 days to upload originally. this workspace syncs with the online sharepoint site and so all the documents will be loaded. Another neat aspect of this workspace is that it can alert you when someone has changed a document. Hope this helps!

All Replies
  • Hello,

This is Justin with Microsoft Online SharePoint Support.

I would like to gather clarification on a few things here.  When you say upgraded, was this a self migration or a transition from BPOS to Office 365?  A new SharePoint account will always go to the <domain>.sharepoint.com address.  This setting cannot be changed.  If the account was transitioned, all the links for the old content and site collections will be located within the <domain>.sharepoint.com Team Site. 

As far as the web design tool goes, I am assuming you are speaking of the public facing website edit mode.  If you are having trouble getting this to work properly, run the "Set up and configure your Office desktop apps" at https://portal.microsoftonline.com/download/default.aspx to verify the browser and computer is ready to use Office 365.  You will also want to use the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer.  Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Justin Ronan
    Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Justin,

We were transitioned from BPOS to Office 365. Our SharePoint account was changed to cwjcmiddletnorg-1.sharepoint.com and we were given a new Team Site with the address: cwjcmiddletnorg.sharepoint.com. That is where our problem lies. The “new” Team Site does not have any of our previous documents. I found on another post in the forum that you we could take our “old” site (the cwjcmiddletnorg-1) and “upgrade” it to the “look and feel” of the other (which is what I meant by upgrading the SharePoint 2007 UI to SharePoint 2010. I did this by going to the "old" SharePoint site, clicking on Site Actions and clicking upgrade to new look.) Then it said to set the "old" site as the default so all our links would go to that site instead of the "new" site which has none of our documents.

As far as the web design tool, I have already "set up and configured" the office desktop apps. If I click on 32-bit it says that I have 64-bit Office programs installed and vice versa. Honestly, I don't care so much about this option if I can just get our "old" SharePoint as our default.

So basically, I need to know:

#1 - how can I make our "old" site (the cwjcmiddletnorg-1.sharepoint.com) the default sharepoint site?

#2 - How long will we have the "old" site (will it be deleted by Microsoft soon or will we have it as long as I don't delete it as admin?)

#3 - if we can't make the "old" site our default site, how do I transfer all our documents from the old to the new as quickly and painlessly as possible (since my computer does not like this "web design tool")?

• Hello again,

I apologize for the delay of my reply.  If you have not already, I would like you to create a new service request so that we can work more closely with you on the issue.  To do so, access the Admin portal and click the Service Requests link under the Support heading on the lower left hand side.  Please be sure to include accurate information so that we can contact and help you quickly. 

Thanks,

Justin Ronan
    Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support

• For anyone who needs the information. I still don't know the answer to 1 and 2 but I found an answer to my 3rd question about transferring documents from one site to another that is VERY easy and doesn't cost a penny. Since this was resolved I just moved all our documents over to the "new" site and we don't use the "old" site.

To transfer documents:

1. go into your sharepoint workspace and click on "site actions" at the very top left of your screen. Select "Sync to SharePoint Workspace". If you are transferring documents from one sharepoint site to another do this for both sites. This also works if you are just looking for an easy and fast way to upload documents and/or move documents around.

2. once it has synced a window will pop up  that has all your folders and documents. Open the other site workspace and just drag the folders and/or documents whereever you want them. I advise to limit the transfer to 50 documents or less because otherwise there is a bit of an overload. However, this is much simpler than going to the SharePoint online and downloading and then uploading to the new site or paying someone money to do it for you. This only took a couple of hours to transfer what took me 2 days to upload originally. this workspace syncs with the online sharepoint site and so all the documents will be loaded. Another neat aspect of this workspace is that it can alert you when someone has changed a document. Hope this helps!